BIG problem need help

BreakThisBread
10+ year member

I've been slowly installing my system the past week and today I finally hooked up the subs and amp (2 W3s and a 500/1)... they didnt work so I grounded the RCAs and they worked perfectly.

Later on today I finished installing my components (HD-62s) and I hooked up the comp amp (MD22) everything seemed cool. Once I turned the key and the stereo (780mp) turned on, the comps started going pa pa pa pa pa very loudly like gun shots. I quickly turned the car back off because it sounds like they are going to blow in a matter of seconds.

Does anyone know where I went wrong?

I know it is going to be a pain in the ass, but take the HU out and recheck your wiring. Sounds like your grounding out somewhere.

It wont be a pain at all.. the headunit is actually out still. I'll check the wiring but I don't know if that really would be the problem. I mean when I hooked up the comp amp it screwed up, when I have JUST the sub amp hooked up the subs work perfectly along with my rear speakers (off headunit).

When I unplugged the comp amp's RCAs after it made the noise the power light was still on. Then today (amp was still wired, just no RCAs) it was in protect mode. =/

the amp shouldn't go into protect regardless of the RCA.

Disconnect the speaker leads from the output terminals of the amp, (while it's off.) and see if it comes out of protect.

It wont be a pain at all.. the headunit is actually out still. I'll check the wiring but I don't know if that really would be the problem. I mean when I hooked up the comp amp it screwed up, when I have JUST the sub amp hooked up the subs work perfectly along with my rear speakers (off headunit).

When I unplugged the comp amp's RCAs after it made the noise the power light was still on. Then today (amp was still wired, just no RCAs) it was in protect mode. =/
Id definently say you have a ground problem somewhere. Same thing sorta happened to me. My power wire was leaned up against something next to battery vibration from slamming door caused it to wiggle loose. Ground was just resting on the trunk floor. Next thing i knew my speakers were hissing and knocking ( pa pa pa pa pa) I tried ground loop isolators, moved my ground to a million and one spots. It ended up my head unit was fried.

Cybe- I'll see if that works tomorrow. If it works, that only fixes one problem and once I hook up the speaker leads it will make the noise again. =/

rwest- I'm pretty sure it is not a ground problem because I have 0 gauge wire grounded to a spot which splits into a distro block and goes to both the amps. The 500/1 works fine... unless there is a problem between the distro block and the comp amp.

Another quick question. When I FIRST hooked up the comp amp the speakers weren't playing so I looked back and the RCAs weren't hooked up (no wonder!) so I left the car on and went to plug them in. When the cable touched the RCA jack on the amp it sparked. So I backed off, turned off the car, unhooked the battery, hooked everything back up, turned the car back on, and THATS when the speaks started goin crazy... Is it supposed to do that?? I've never seen the RCA input spark before.

Sounds like you may have dead shorted your HU. Just a guess though. I would start fresh personally. Unhook everything. Start with the HU. Hook that up and make sure it powers up, hook up front stage amp and make sure that works, etc... That way you will be able to get an idea about what component is causing the issues.

Okay let me put this out there again..

Right now, I have the headunit hooked up to the rear stock speakers and I have the subs and sub amp hooked up. All that stuff works flawlessly, but when I hook up the components and the component amp it does the pa pa pa pa pa noise and I'm pretty sure the other speakers and subs don't work when the component amp is hooked up.

no, the rca shouldn't spark. you mentioned that you grounded the sub rca - more info on that?

also, the rca that lead to your comp amp - are they direct from the headunit, or from the sub amp's output set of rca?

At first when I hooked up the subs and sub amp it wasnt hitting at all and when I moved the h/u around it would sometimes hit and I realized it hit when the RCAs touched metal so I stuck a wire inbetween the RCA connection and grounded it and it works from now on. The RCAs to the comp amp and to the sub amp are both direct to the h/u.

How bout this...

When I was hooking up the components there werent any + or - markings on the mid or tweet so i just hooked them up randomly. But from the x-over to the amp i followed positive and negative back. Could that be a problem?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.