Installed Components: They shut off then played the next day??

ttran
10+ year member

Texas
installed some pg rsd6.5s running off a jl audio e2150.

I was driving for about 15 mins with it bumping pretty hard. stopped at a gas station turned the car off, then when I got back in and cranked it up. The driver side shut off, then the passenger.

Parked at a friends house for an hour or so, but when I turned it back up. the same thing happened, but only the driver side was out.

Next day: everythings working fine. audio guy adjusted something on the amp.

any idea on what would cause this? He told me the crossovers got too hot.

amp gain was too high, so pushing too much power through the xover's. Good thing you got it fixed before frying them...

is that "input sensitivity"?? I have it at 3/4 right now. amp is rated at 70watts. the speakers are rated at 60 watts rms.

What kind of amp and what source unit do you run?

I find it hard to believe, if you have any type of modern headunit, that 75% gain setting is appropriate. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

What kind of amp and what source unit do you run?I find it hard to believe, if you have any type of modern headunit, that 75% gain setting is appropriate. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
I have a jl e2150 pushing the components. my headunit is a pioneer 880prs.

the amps sensitivity is set to 3/4s.

That amp is much too small for those comps. Your 2-channel amp is rated for 45w x 2 @ 4 ohms. You'll want to get an amp that has at least double that, if not more. It's no wonder you were overheating your amp.

The PG's can take a lot more power than the 60w rms that they are rated for. They can handle 100w rms no problem.

Look into Profile amps, they make good quality, inexpensive amps. Here's a good 2-channel amp for you:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4874

You can also look into 4-channel amps if you think you might need it some day.

Also, please, read the sticky in the amp section of the forums for properly setting the gains on the amp. For the most accurate setting, use a DMM if you have one.

-- Kevin

That amp is much too small for those comps. Your 2-channel amp is rated for 45w x 2 @ 4 ohms. You'll want to get an amp that has at least double that, if not more. It's no wonder you were overheating your amp.
The PG's can take a lot more power than the 60w rms that they are rated for. They can handle 100w rms no problem.

Look into Profile amps, they make good quality, inexpensive amps. Here's a good 2-channel amp for you:

Also, please, read the sticky in the amp section of the forums for properly setting the gains on the amp. For the most accurate setting, use a DMM if you have one.

-- Kevin
its rated at 45watts at 12.4volts and 70 at 14.4v, which is closer to what my car runs when its started, so I'm actually getting around 65 watts.

I don't think the amp is overheating. I've actually lowered the gains on the e2150 and it hasn't shut off since. I believe something was causing the crossovers to overheat, not the amp.

That amp is much too small for those comps. Your 2-channel amp is rated for 45w x 2 @ 4 ohms. You'll want to get an amp that has at least double that, if not more. It's no wonder you were overheating your amp.The PG's can take a lot more power than the 60w rms that they are rated for. They can handle 100w rms no problem.

-- Kevin
i just want to say that under powering the speakers isnt going to do anything to the amp

i just want to say that under powering the speakers isnt going to do anything to the amp
thats what i thought //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the gains could do it but the underpowering of the speaker will not
That is what I meant in my first reply. When someone has an amp that is a little under powered for the speakers, they will usually turn the gains all the way up to get more sound, as he did.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.