HO alternator installed, plus big 3. Same voltage/amperage as before

pzaully
10+ year member

Nebraska
'93 Toyota Pickup DLX 22RE

Alright guys, I just installed a 160 amp drop in replacement alternator to replace the stock 80 amp. I checked the voltage at idle and attempted to test the amperage while playing music with my ammeter at idle. The new alternator is supposed to produce 160 amps at 1500rpms and up. I'm one person so I wasnt able to test at 1500rpms by myself. Either way the voltage and the amperage being used is the same. 14.24v to 14.27v at idle and 12.8v under the biggest load my amps could muster. With the stock alternator its around 40 amps, with the replacement alternator its around 40amps. I ran 1/0 for the big three.

This is incredibly bad after what I thought would be an upgrade.

I went to O'Reillys and Advanced Auto Parts. One place could only present a 70 amp load on the system and they said it did fine. At Advanced Auto Parts the people didnt seem to know what they were doing. They put the ammeter on the wrong wire to start off with and I had to have them move it. Second they did it with the battery connected and their 'test' which they could only do at idle because it appeared he didnt know how to set it for a higher RPM (It would fail at 2k rpms), only produced 96 peak amps. This is with the battery connected and at 12.8 volts.

How can I get this thing tested correctly to verify my alternator isnt kaput? Maybe I missed something? I didnt remove any wires, I just added to them like someone mentioned in a previous post I had along with sanding down the ground connections. If I remove the battery the truck still runs but the second a bass line hits, even if its only at moderate volume levels, it comes to a complete halt. Shouldnt the alternators voltage regulator (voltage is not variable) be able to cope fast enough?

Any ideas please? I spent 5 hours doing this and cannot easily remove the alternator without once again draining the radiator, removing some pipes to it, the shroud for the fan, the brush guard for the engine, and the air filter and ducts...

Thanks,

Pzaully

Did you expect a higher resting voltage on a 12 volt charging system? I hope not...they charge right around 14.4. And a drop to only 12.8 volts while blasting full tilt is more than good. I know how you feel though, all that money spent and the voltage should stay higher.

But yeah, get some deep cycle batteries - one for the front as a replacement and extra one for the back and you'll be golden.

On a side note, what brand is the H.O. alt?

Yeh get some better batteries with bigger capacity to store more......did you buy it off eBay?

I bought a h.o. alt off eBay and didnt see a gain at all....from 65amp to 135ish....lights dimmed worse than stock.....hope u figure it out

Yes I had bought it off ebay. I'm not worried about the voltage I figured that should have stayed the same under load, its the amps its providing that bothers me.

Pzaully

I only have a regular diehard (might be a different model), the amps are BXi2006d and Sony XM-4s. I have a TXA-6004 I could try, but from when I did use it, it appeared to be ****. I did take a look on friday at a truck box for my bed. I couldnt find one that I liked that I thought I could secure well enough. I could keep looking into one, I had planned on putting 3 car batteries in there and running the 1/0 up through the existing bolt holes that used to hold the rear seat belts. I also have an SP800 battery and a AP200 capacitor that are not installed, they would go into the cubby holes bellow my box in the floor.

Pzaully

I honestly would have tried a bigger alternator if I had more room to work with. None of the local places would rewire my existing alternator, I had tried. I didnt see a make for an iraggi that would have fit, though they did mention some 4runner alts and I know they had similar ones that fit my model truck. Might have been a lack of research on my end. I did drive around a bit last night and it does let my amps play noticeably louder than before without clipping so I guess it is an improvement.

I was too tired at the end to take pics of everything completely installed, but I had started to at the beginning of the project. I'm no mechanic and not good at metal fab so a larger alternator would have been pretty difficult for me with this much room to work with. {not 56k friendly}

I'll post some pics maybe tomorrow of how everything looks when it was finished, not like anyone cares though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Pzaully

Adding a high output alternator, secondary deep cycle batteries, and doing the big three isn't necessarily supposed to increase your resting voltage, it's just supposed to keep it from dipping as much, properly powering your system, and stopping you potentially damaging your battery.

The voltage in any system at idle should be about 14.4V and if you have an absolutely beastly alternator it should stay there under load as well, but a small dip to 12.8V under extreme load isn't anything to worry about unless that load is transferring over to your battery. Test your battery's voltage fully charged, if it's 12.8 you may have a problem.

Okay, well ur bxi2006d is pulling at least 115 amps if ur trying to even pull 1,500 watts out of it. Add ur sony amp + all the other electrical stuff it doesn't surprise me that ur alternator can't keep up with at at idle. Since your alternaotr is putting out around 60-80 amps (The ad mentioned 70) at idle, that means that everything has to get that extra power from something else. Guess where that extra strain goes to? The battery. So Sound like u either need to upgrade ur battery/add more. Or don't play full tilt when ur idling as much.

I got a 140 amp alt from Summit Racing power, big three in 4 gauge and the best wet cell battery from adavnce duto parts and at full tilt I have on like .2 volts dropping off. I know I have an good amp but still.......

Just an update. I hooked up an epic 150 to the setup (mainly just for the voltage readout heh) and the amp is seeing 13.0v at idle playing music at full tilt and 13.7v above 1.8k rpms playing music at full tilt. At the amps power terminals it sees the same thing, but dips down a bit more for just a sec then back up. I've got a cap I can install that should fix that momentary dip.

Worked out well in the end I guess.

Also I noticed that when I leave my car off for more than 8 hours or so then start the vehicle, the alternator puts out 14.3v for around 10 minutes then drops to 13.8v. Think thats its regulator attempting to charge the battery or something? It's extremely consistent in doing this, just seems odd I guess.

pzaully

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.