Trupan Ultralite

mlstrass
5,000+ posts

Shaggy DOA
Illinois
Building a box and using Trupan Ultralite for the first time. OMFG this **** is sweet. Cuts like butter and minimal sawdust. I made around 20 cuts and literally had the same amount of dust on the floor as 2 MDF cuts. It just glides through the saw and being lighter is another bonus.

I had to track down the US rep and he got me in contact with a lumber yard 8 minutes from home. Ordered Thursday afternoon and they had it Friday morning. They ordered 3 extra sheets, so they'd have some in stock. Paid around $48 a sheet and WELL worth it to me.

Next few builds I do for anyone, I'll be pushing this stuff for sure.

Props to BJfish for making me aware of it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

is that stuff worth it for a fiberglass box or am i better off with regular mdf? of course i want to safe weight in the trunk because my car wont spin the tires from a stand still anymore because of the speaker box.

is that stuff worth it for a fiberglass box or am i better off with regular mdf? of course i want to safe weight in the trunk because my car wont spin the tires from a stand still anymore because of the speaker box.
for a fiberglass box, you can spend all the money on that or buy some birch plywood for about half the cost. both will weigh alot less than regular MDF

for a fiberglass box, you can spend all the money on that or buy some birch plywood for about half the cost. both will weigh alot less than regular MDF
The Trupan is $8 more a sheet compared to the HD BB which is NOT marine grade 13ply. The REAL stuff is MORE than Trupan //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

I've used the birch ply from HD and Lowe's and sometimes they have the good stuff and sometimes they don't. For a fiberglass box, where the bulk of the box is fiberglass, just about anything will work. Once it's well covered in resin, the type of wood is pretty much moot and there isn't enough wood there to make much of a weight difference either.

does trupan have the same durability as normal MDF or will it flex? Deff. using this on my next box if i can find a lumber yard to get it form.

BJfish can probably answer that better as this is my first box and won't be done until later in the week.

Seems VERY solid though and I always brace my boxes, so no worries...

Rob Mortonsen (?) is the US rep. I've got his number at work and can post it if you want. He'll be able to point you to a lumber yard close to you that can get it.

Cut my 45's for the corners today and my table saw really struggles with MDF, but this stuff cut smooth as silk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mlstrass

5,000+ posts
Shaggy DOA
mlstrass
Illinois
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date