Interesting idea, im sure its been proposed....

Fast1one
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
California
So, we all know that sub stages are comprised of a series of compromises. To get a good amount of output and sound quality,you need a lot of space, a lot of power, a high quality woofer, or any combination of the above.

Focusing specifically on the space/weight issue I have come up with a brilliant(or retarded) solution that im sure many have considered. Obviously when going IB one uses the entire trunk as the apparent enclosure, so why not use this same concept for a ported enclosure? If one goes through extensive work in sealing and reinforcing the trunk (using fiberglass, deadening, thicker trunk seals or what have be) can one theoretically separate the cabin from the trunk and simply add a port of the appropriate size fired into the cabin? Has anyone tried this?

The work involved may seem immense, but the benefits may be worth it for some us...I have searched with no avail...

P.S. In my case, this would be done with either three/four IDQ 12s or two IDQ 15s tuned VERY low //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

I know sillies, typos sheeshhh, I literally changed it a few seconds later, ****in post *****s //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Interesting idea yes, but not smart. The problem with your idea is that you will have a MONSTROUS enclosure for the speaker that cannot damp the cone movement. Also, your tuning would be astronomically low unless you used a huge port, in which case, it really isn't practical because it would be too large. So essentially, you would end up with an IB setup that has a hole in it.

Interesting idea yes, but not smart. The problem with your idea is that you will have a MONSTROUS enclosure for the speaker that cannot damp the cone movement. Also, your tuning would be astronomically low unless you used a huge port, in which case, it really isn't practical because it would be too large. So essentially, you would end up with an IB setup that has a hole in it.
Yup i am aware that is is a huge enclosure, and i would find ways to compensate, Dont worry about the enclosure size for now, but the idea itself of reinforcing the trunk to use it as an enclosure. I can find ways to compensate for the huge enclosure...
My trunk is 14 cubes, so two 18s may work pretty well...

BTW they would be mounted behind the rear seat...

Still, I wouldn't. There isn't a surface braced well enough to hold two 18s an yway
Or so you think //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Lol, the subs would only be mj 18s, so they aren't that heavy at all...If it fails, i could just build a new baffle and go IB //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i'm with ya. why do it if you aren't going to do it all the way? you could just cut holes in the roof and use the vehicle itself as the box. maybe 5 18's directly in the roof. i've always thought of using one of those old refrigerators that kids have been known to suffocate in, and just pull the box on a trailer behind my truck.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i'm with ya. why do it if you aren't going to do it all the way? you could just cut holes in the roof and use the vehicle itself as the box. maybe 5 18's directly in the roof. i've always thought of using one of those old refrigerators that kids have been known to suffocate in, and just pull the box on a trailer behind my truck.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Now your just being silly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Supergumby5000 Exactly my point, im going to seal off the trunk anyway, might as well experiment. The trunk itself is very solid and has never really flexed, even when I had my 15 off 1500 watts...

The only thing I would be worried about is the trunk lid itself, which is the only thing that flexed, and a good amount at that...Keep in mind my trunk isnt deadened or anything yet...

I have seen something similar but it was in a camaro. The subs were in the tubs and there was an ap membrane in the bottom of the box and when you flipped a switch the panel rotated and became a port. It was very labor intensive but did sound excellent.

I have seen something similar but it was in a camaro. The subs were in the tubs and there was an ap membrane in the bottom of the box and when you flipped a switch the panel rotated and became a port. It was very labor intensive but did sound excellent.
Having a hard time visualizing that but thanks for your input //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.