Material for 'glassin?

ridered36
10+ year member

Dont bufu rabid squirrels
I am going to try and make a fiberglass kick panel pretty soon, its my first time to work with the stuff:eek: . I am gonna get a gallon to start with and lay foil down. I was told to just go buy some sweater-type material at a fabric store....do i get fleece or is it some kind of cotton-based material.

Also, if you know any other things that would help me get started easier let me know.

dont know have never done it. i dont mean to be rude or mean, but ill tell you that there are probably places online that can tell you a lot about it. i think you can buy fiberglass in liquid form or in strips of it. i guess start with the strips, then use the liquid... dont know much about it, sorry man. real dumb question here because im relativly new with the language, whats the kick panel?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Originally posted by shrinkydinx YOU DUMBASS GET OUT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A KICKPANEL IS SHITHEAD BEFORE I TUNE YOUR THUNDER!

jus kidding. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

whats TTT?
ttt= to the top...

Originally posted by ridered36 I am going to try and make a fiberglass kick panel pretty soon, its my first time to work with the stuff:eek: . I am gonna get a gallon to start with and lay foil down. I was told to just go buy some sweater-type material at a fabric store....do i get fleece or is it some kind of cotton-based material.

Also, if you know any other things that would help me get started easier let me know.
http://www.caraudioresources.net/technical.html

start there.. they have some good kickpanel and 'spare tire well enclosures'..

I would say only get a small amount of resin to start (quart or what haveyou).. The 'resin' is the liquid part of it all.. The liquid gets put over 'fiberglass mat/fabric' or 'fleece' (or just about anything you want I guess.. but the glass is for structural integrity)..

The general idea is (as I understand it) is that kick panels don't get that much stress from the speaker so it doesn't have to be 'that' stong.. so fleece can work.. (and fleece is cheaper than the fiberglass matt).. Normally, you have one layer of fleece over a wood frame, that gives you a base.. then you layer up a few layers of matting/fabric.. also gives you a smoother final surface to work with, fleece will require a lot of working to get smooth..

Anyway, go read up on it.. When you are done, if you have any questions, feel free to ask //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.