Min Space behind subwoofer?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ARSkemp
10+ year member

FI-AQ-PA-AB-Profile-MB-RD
I was thinking about making a ported enclosure for a 12" FI SSD and was wondering if their is a minimum amount of space behind the sub that is recommended.

this around the enclosure size i was looking at:

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=38&Eh=16&Dia=6&Xmax=21&Vd=0.14&NumW=1&Vb=2&Fb=33&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

the sub has a depth of 6.5" and the depth in the box would be 7.25". Would i need more depth than that?

if i do need more depth is their a way to make the port like this:

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=38&Eh=16&Dia=6&Xmax=21&Vd=0.14&NumW=1&Vb=1.8&Fb=33&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

in the space i have for it?

I would prefer to have it take of a max of 16" H x 40" W x 12" D.

The Height and Width cannot be increased (if i can get it smaller that would be great) but i really want to make the depth as small as possible. (hoping for 10" but i dont know if thats possible). It would be a bonus if i can get the 40" W smaller too cause then i can put the amp on the side.

im basically trying to make the enclosure to the recommended on FI's website:

1.8-2.5 ft^3 @ 33hz (preferably ~1.8-2)

i really dont understand how the how port size/shape works so i don't know why the port in the top link is different looking then the one in the second link.

I think they say u need atleast 2x the pole vent of ur sub min in space behind it. Don't quote me.

As far as the ports, it's port area and length that gets you a specific tunning. So no matter how you get that length, wheather you go straight back like the first, or zig zag it, as long as the port area remains the same, length and width, depth can change as long as it adds up to the port length.

If you had used the same dimensions in those 2 links, you would have gotten the same port length requirements for both style ports.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.