Total fiberglass cost.

Atimm693
10+ year member

Shadetree Mechanic
Alright guys now Ive done a bit of searching of the forum and the net and im wondering what the total cost of making a decent fiberglass enclosure is.

This isnt a huge enormous box, just a small one for my mothers car to house a single 8 inch kicker comp..

The box dimensions are roughly 18 inches wide by 15 inches high by about 4 inchs deep...

Ive never done fiberglassing but im pretty sure of myself as far as this project goes...

The box will be designed to fit in the side of the trunk as to not take up any space in the car (1980 Toyota Corolla)

About how much resin will i need for this? I dont really want to spend more than like 60 dollars on this.

Thanks

Its going to cost you a lot more than $60.....unless you have a lot of consumables on hand. You'll need tape, carpet, terminal, sandpaper, MDF for the base and/or a sub ring, bondo to smooth out small dips, jig or recip saw, dowel rods, glass mat, and resin.

To do it right, even with the cheap poly resin.....you'll need a gallon, which is $35 and another $10ish for the hardener. $15 for the mat and you're already over budget and you still need at a minimum everything else listed.

If got MDF, not gonna use terminals, im going to paint it, got a jig saw, and sandpaper.

That really is going to be a lot isnt it...

Is there any large benefits from fiberglass boxes?

Any idea how much a gallon of resin costs?
$35 - $40... and most the resin comes with hardner...

u'll also need brushes... a lot of brushes... like... o.. 50... + like a 1000 gloves and mask and goggle... fleece...um... like 10 different grits of sandpaper... i think thats the whole list + what SURGICAL said...

50 brushes? That seems like a real lot...

Wont i only be needing to mix up like 10 batches? And isnt it like 1 brush per batch?

Would i really need a mask? Even if i did the job in say a garage with one of the large doors open?

ive got lots of sandpaper...

oh and ive got better measurements too.

Ive got about 15 inches wide, about 12 inches tall, and about 6 inches deep.

50 brushes? That seems like a real lot...Wont i only be needing to mix up like 10 batches? And isnt it like 1 brush per batch?

Would i really need a mask? Even if i did the job in say a garage with one of the large doors open?

ive got lots of sandpaper...

oh and ive got better measurements too.

Ive got about 15 inches wide, about 12 inches tall, and about 6 inches deep.
well it depends on how fast u work... i did 4oz a batch to start off... i guess i work slow since it was getting all hard when the cup was 1/2 full... so i did 2oz a batch... and i know u need a mask... i'm not talking about the fiberglass... i'm talking about sanding the fiberglass and body filler... the **** will get all up in the nose and mouth...

whenever i start a project, i usually set aside $100 to be safe

you never know when you're gonna need to buy new blades for your saw, new sandpaper, extra resin, extra mat, extra brushes, etc.

I would guess you could get the core work done for $50-$60, but finishing could cost you an extra $20-30 on top of that

I read the sticky about the custom kick panels and ill be using that much for reference..

I tend to work rather fast without knowing it alot, it ***** because its really hard for me to work slow on something being im rather impatient too...

thanks for all the help and if anyone else has questions feel free to jack the thread.

I read the sticky about the custom kick panels and ill be using that much for reference..
I tend to work rather fast without knowing it alot, it ***** because its really hard for me to work slow on something being im rather impatient too...

thanks for all the help and if anyone else has questions feel free to jack the thread.
ah... a gallon a resin should do...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.