Getting Kenwood DPX-501 USB question

veener79
10+ year member

I just ordered a Kenwood DPX-501 and I will have it on Tuesday from a local shop. I got it for $275 so it is a avarge deal it looks like I like the idea of the locals store incase there is a issue. Anyways what I am wondering is I like the USB feature on it but I am wondering what are the best thing to use for the USB. I do not have a MP3 player yet and I am just not a iPod fan. I have searched and I have seen 200+ gig hard drives being hooked up to kenwood units but I do not need that over kill. Right now my MP3's are a little under 11 gigs. I am just not sure what to look at to get. Right now my old Kenwood 10 disk changer still works and I will be using that for a little longer and I think now my 1 gig flash drive but with flash drives having a huge price mark up after 2gigs I am not sure if they are worth the cost to get a larger one. I do like a clean look to my car so I do not want wires everywere. Or am I better off just saving for a MP3 Player? Right now I use my Cell phone Nokia 6682 as the MP3 Player but it can not get past 2 gigs.

Thanks for any help on this

You can get a 4g flash drive and just put your most listened to songs on their. 4 gigs of music is a lot, and to update or switch it all it takes it to take it out and plug into the computer. They sell 8 and 16g flash drives but at that point its cheaper to get a hard drive. If you do get a hard drive youll have to power it externally.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if you have the extra cash id get this, its not much more, and the write/read speed and durability will make up for it.

my friend has that one in 2g and it went through the wash and is still fine.

You can get a 4g flash drive and just put your most listened to songs on their. 4 gigs of music is a lot, and to update or switch it all it takes it to take it out and plug into the computer. They sell 8 and 16g flash drives but at that point its cheaper to get a hard drive. If you do get a hard drive youll have to power it externally.
He can use a 2.5" laptop HDD and external enclosure for it and not need a seperate power source. I have a 2.5" external HDD that uses the USB as its power source.

This

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817155704

Used with this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144377

Tote all you have with room to spare for later.

I thing after more reading for where I live I think the HD might not be a good idea. In winter we get weeks in below 0 temps with out the windchill and in the summer it get to hot for a HD. So for about 3-4 months out of the year I would be getting upset at my setup.

Haha, i know what you mean. Where are you in IL? Ive had my temporary flash drive (512mb) outside in my car for the last 3 weeks and with the below 0 temps weve had its fine. I have the kenwood 632u

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.