sub cutouts too big; easy fix?

maldecido33
10+ year member

MSEE
Lubbock, TX
made a box for a friend, he gave me the wrong dimensions for the sub cutout... it's already carpeted, and the cutout is too big for the sub (12" type x)

the sub doesn't fall through, but it won't be air tight as some of the mounting holes don't have wood underneath em

keep in mind it's already carpeted.... whats the easiest fix?

Peel the carpet back off.

I can think of two options.

Replace the bafle with a piece cut properly.

Cut the hole out bigger so the sub will fit all the way through it and use it as a flush panel. And then cut a piece to go inside the baffle and mount from behind that is cut the correct size.

Follow any of that?

what about figuring out a way to use a 12" wood ring?? maybe peel the carpet back, cut the hole bigger and mount and seal the ring in, then put the carpet back?

The flush mount would be great assuming that you can get the box apart to get the mounting ring inside. If you can't get it apart, you can cut the opening about two inches bigger than needed, cut a ring that will fit in the new cutout that has a hole of the correct size and finally cut a ring that the sub will flush mount in that is wide enough to fasten the new mounting ring to the box and seal the joint. Result will be a sub mounted with a trim ring.

Flush Mount it.
Peel the carpet back off.I can think of two options.

Replace the bafle with a piece cut properly.

Cut the hole out bigger so the sub will fit all the way through it and use it as a flush panel. And then cut a piece to go inside the baffle and mount from behind that is cut the correct size.

Follow any of that?
The flush mount would be great assuming that you can get the box apart to get the mounting ring inside. If you can't get it apart, you can cut the opening about two inches bigger than needed, cut a ring that will fit in the new cutout that has a hole of the correct size and finally cut a ring that the sub will flush mount in that is wide enough to fasten the new mounting ring to the box and seal the joint. Result will be a sub mounted with a trim ring.

Taking advice from all of this, I think I'll:

a) Cut out the hole so the sub fits all the way through, flush mounting it.

b) Cut a ring of the proper cutout diameter that is about 5-6 inches wide, to help with mounting it on the back of the baffle.

c) Cut the ring in half to form two semi-circles, which will be joined back together once inside the box.

How's that sound? Thanks for all the help!

Taking advice from all of this, I think I'll:
a) Cut out the hole so the sub fits all the way through, flush mounting it.

b) Cut a ring of the proper cutout diameter that is about 5-6 inches wide, to help with mounting it on the back of the baffle.

c) Cut the ring in half to form two semi-circles, which will be joined back together once inside the box.

How's that sound? Thanks for all the help!
That sounds like a plan. Just make sure to give yourself enough room on each side of the cutout ring to support the sub.

That's a pretty frickin bad-azz idea!! !//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

I had the same problem last week. What I did was cut a inch and a half ring that would hold the sub tight and go over the baffle. I just painted it black. Then glued it and screwed it on the front. Took all of ten minutes with a jig saw.

make another front baffle, carpet it and screw it over the existing hole. some silicon should be used to make it air tight. then cut a new small hole. i dont like your odds of putting a baffle in from behind

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.