2 "15 MTs in a Grand Prix trunk

Participant count
  • Participant list

jchancellortool
10+ year member

7.62 x 39
IN
Well I have 2 MTs that have been sitting in my garage for almost 6 months. One is slightly used, in a 4.5 cube box. The other is BNIB but has a damaged basket because it was dropped by the guy i bought it from.

This weekend when I took my Premiers out of my car to see if I could get the one MT in and failed, I decided I was going to go ahead and build a box for both of them. The box will have to be assembled in the trunk. I figured I would build it port and subs rear facing. I will run both of them off my amp (see sig) at .5 ohm until I can find another one. What do you guys think? How big of a task will this be? Who else has assembled a box inside the trunk before?

im not sure if this is possible in your car,but if so i would point subs forward and port,push it all the way to the back of the seat,and then seal off around the box.

well well well. its a beautiful thing to see this because i was jsut like u a couple months ago but with a grand am instead. heres what i did when i started out. i dont have recent pictures but i decided to go with aero ports and fire them into the cabin and the rest is history. heres what i did...

had to fiberglass the wheel well....

100_3309.jpg

Optimas on both sides....

100_3306.jpg

100_3305.jpg

Even had to alter the car SLIGHTLY lol....

cxhillbo.jpg

chill.jpg

heres the original idea i had for the ports 2 6", 6" deep PVC ports....what a fool i was... they are ported in the trunk, not inside the cabin....o well. heres the holes....

951410090_ORIG.jpg

and heres a sloppy picutre of how the front fits in there with some bracing from a 2x2 (there is also another 2x2 on the top) (PS: THIS IS NOT ENUFF BRACING)....

951403688_ORIG.jpg

where do the amps go, might u ask....

dsc000312je.jpg

i really wanted to keep this a CAR and not a real project, i guess, so i kept the back seats fully functional by taking them out, taking the cushioning out and puting a piece of mdf with some kind of cushion from the local hobby lobby)

heres the face of it. had to cut it at a slant to fit it in there... wayyy more work than i bargained for.....

dsc000323nz.jpg

i never ran out of uses for fiberglass thru this whole expedition....

dsc000358xn.jpg

if i find some more pictures, ill put em up but this is just what i found. any questions PM me....

Well I just got done building a box in the trunk for my grand prix. I have two 12" Fi Qs. I would suggest planning everything out really well, and you will prolly have to use the spare tire well (I didnt). Just remember to take your time, cause once its in there, you cant really take it out. LOL and remember to take the spare and jack out, something I forgot, which ****** when I got a flat last week //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

i did an in trunk build. it wasnt the funnest build but if you do it right it will work and it will be loud. here are a couple of pics.

first i did the front. then the floor, the sides, the tub. then the top and back. everything got fiberglass in place.

2426076_75_full.jpg

2426076_70_full.jpg

2426076_71_full.jpg

2426076_72_full.jpg

2426076_73_full.jpg

2426076_76_full.jpg

here is a video of it .

it only did a 143db with about 400rms per sub. weak. http://media.putfile.com/2-type-r

Wow guys thanks for all the replies, I never really considered fiberglassing. Would it be worth it to fiberglass and have the subs and ports firing into the cabin. In my car I have the pass through in the back seat that folds down, which is always folded down because it makes it alot louder. I could have the port in the middle firing directly through the pass-through. Lets keep the pics coming.

P.S. inapontiac, the picture that says "Even had to alter the car SLIGHTLY lol...." what is that a picture of?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jchancellortool

10+ year member
7.62 x 39
jchancellortool
IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date