Questions about HT

iceteebone
5,000+ posts

Banned
Michigan
looking to put together something relatively cheap for HT. i'm pretty noob to this but i was thinking probably 2 towers, a receiver and sub is all i need. now for the sub i'll prolly use my 12" brahma since nobody wants it. now towers is where i'm having trouble. first i'm not sure how to make them or design crossovers, second i see a lot of kits that come with drivers, xovers and box plans, is this a good way to go? on the towers i'm really looking to spend only $200 or less on the drivers and xovers, is this doable? not looking for something superior, just something better then my tv speakers

Maybe for the price you can try these out http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640

They're definitely cheap and may give you more play with your budget for a nicer receiver than you planned. You can always upgrade when your budget dictates later.
I second that motion. These look pretty good given the price range. Any decent HT receiver from a reputable manufacturer should power these fine and have a connection for a subwoofer.

Well towers are usually of a 3-way design and incorporate an 8" or larger woofer. Bookshelves for the most part are 2-way monitors with a midbass/mid and tweeter. Towers can usually extend low enough to sound good without a sub. Bookshelves will need a sub to supplement the low end. That would be my best way to explain the difference. Of course this is only a "most of the time" description. I'm sure there are many solutions out there that go against these statements.

two towers and a subwoofer is not a home theater
Calm down.

Surround sound is over rated, and people were using two speaks and a sub for their HT prolly before you were born.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Calm down.
Surround sound is over rated, and people were using two speaks and a sub for their HT prolly before you were born.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
people were also using 8 track players

ht is whatever you want it to be.

but me if it isnt 5.1 at least for home movie viewing then your not getting the full experience

now if you listing to mostly music hten a pair of towers will do just fine.

people were also using 8 track players

ht is whatever you want it to be.

but me if it isnt 5.1 at least for home movie viewing then your not getting the full experience

now if you listing to mostly music hten a pair of towers will do just fine.
eh...

well i got one of those all in one deals from my sister. i think i'll give that a try since i'm not into home audio like car audio. if anything i could always upgrade the speakers since i have a free receiver now.

Calm down.
might be the fact that movies didnt record surround tracks back then. hmm...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.