I have a 500/1 JL amp: 10w7 or 12w7 (underpowered)

frankiebones
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NYC
i wanna upgrade from my w6 to a w7 (hopefully santa appreciates the diff in these 2 models).

if i got a 10w7, the 500/1 amp i am pushing my 12w6 with would produce the optimum wattage for the sub.

if i got a 12w7, which is 750 W rms as opposed to 500 W rms, the sub would be underpowered.

what would seem like logic to me since i am more than happy with my JL 500/1 would be to go with the 10 over the 12, and give it optimum power.

however, a tech rep at JL i spoke to, who was obviously very familiar with JL products told me that if i want more output to go with the larger 12w7 over the 10.

i know SPL is related to cone size but how much of a diff in SPL would there be bw a 10w7 and a 12w7?? should probably mention that i am either gonna grab the prowedge box bc it looks so badass, but if not, i would just be building a box to the specs JL gives for sealed enclosures. (never built a box before, time to man up).

my recent experience with my morel components, which saw a ridiculous increase in SQ when i bridged my amp and gave them the voltage they deserve makes me think i should ignore the JL guy and get the smaller 10w7 and have it powered in the 'optimum' zone according to the charts on jl's website.

If u can offord a 12w7 go 4 it.....no1 ever blew a sub by underpowering them
thanks, but i think i might have misphrased my question. my concern is not blowing either the 10 or the 12. if i got the 10, i would obviously be a little more careful with gain setting bc the wattage is dead on, but my thinking was that, in general, giving subwoofers, wooferts, tweets, etc. the wattage that will make them come alive would be a better move.

so i have a constant 500W from like 11.5 to 14.4V and from 1.5 to 4 ohms with my 500/1. if the optimum SQ is achieved with a 10w7 when pushing it w/ 500W, and the optimum SQ for the 12w7 is only achieved by giving it 750W (i guess by using a 1000/1 with the gains set low), is the extra cone area gonna make up for the fact that it will be underpowered, and, i guess, less dynamic and lively?

i dont plan on getting a new sub amp any time soon, and it just seemed to me that what diff. there would be bw a 10 and a 12 would be outweighed by the fact that with a 10, the driver would be getting exactly the juice it needs to perform optimally?

then again, compared to you guys, i dont know what the f*ck i'm talking about, so all these seemingly commonsensical assumptions i am making could be wrong...

Why not just get another 12w6? In my experience they are a better sounding driver anyway. Just my .02
half the people i have spoken to say the w6 is more 'musical,' but when i mentioned that while on the phone with the JL rep he was pretty incessant about that not being the case. i have heard w7s, but they were in SUVs.

the guy at jl also told me that my car, the audi a4, is specifically one of the most 'bass unfriendly' cars around. they had one that they put together as a show car and had all sorts of trouble getting good bass response to the driver's seat. he said they ended up mounting the subs in the rear deck location after they realized 1. they picked the wrong car to make a show car out of, and 2. they already put too much money into it to scrap the car altogether....didnt exactly make me happy to hear that.

at least the people who sit in the back seat can feel the bass hard, although they cant hear much of the mids or highs..lol

thanks, but i think i might have misphrased my question. my concern is not blowing either the 10 or the 12. if i got the 10, i would obviously be a little more careful with gain setting bc the wattage is dead on, but my thinking was that, in general, giving subwoofers, wooferts, tweets, etc. the wattage that will make them come alive would be a better move.
so i have a constant 500W from like 11.5 to 14.4V and from 1.5 to 4 ohms with my 500/1. if the optimum SQ is achieved with a 10w7 when pushing it w/ 500W, and the optimum SQ for the 12w7 is only achieved by giving it 750W (i guess by using a 1000/1 with the gains set low), is the extra cone area gonna make up for the fact that it will be underpowered, and, i guess, less dynamic and lively?

i dont plan on getting a new sub amp any time soon, and it just seemed to me that what diff. there would be bw a 10 and a 12 would be outweighed by the fact that with a 10, the driver would be getting exactly the juice it needs to perform optimally?

then again, compared to you guys, i dont know what the f*ck i'm talking about, so all these seemingly commonsensical assumptions i am making could be wrong...
You aren't gonna get more SQ from a W7 with 750 watts instead of 500, you'll get more output (not by much). Not having enough power isn't gonna make the sub sound worse.

You aren't gonna get more SQ from a W7 with 750 watts instead of 500, you'll get more output (not by much). Not having enough power isn't gonna make the sub sound worse.
gotcha, nothin more need be said

the numbers for the w7 are quite conservative. either one can handle at least 1000 watts, and IMO the 500/1 won't even be using the 10 to it's full potential. i would also suggest putting it in a ported box rather than sealed. i know that it's easier to build a sealed box, but you would be much happier with ported, even if you have to buy the box. so i say go with the 12w7, because most likely you will eventually be looking at that fat surround on the 10w7 and think of buying a new amp anyways.

also, have you ported your w6? that would greatly increase output.

I just bought the same sub/amp setup you have now. Out of curiousity, is the W6 not loud enough for you? Why do you want a W7?

I was thinking of getting a W3, but decided a W6 would have extra oomph if I needed it. I never even considered a W7.

if you're gonna get a 10 go for the 9510 by mtx if you're goin w/a 12 go w/the w7

i have experience w/all three subs you've listed..... I think the 12w7 is great even off a 500.1 amp same goes for the 10w7 but the 9510 is just better, plain and simple.. by the way if you do decide to go w/the 12w7 i doubt u'll need to upgrade to a 1000.1 it'll be slighty too much power for the 12 and then you'll need to start looking at power, alternator, battery issues

if you're gonna get a 10 go for the 9510 by mtx if you're goin w/a 12 go w/the w7
i have experience w/all three subs you've listed..... I think the 12w7 is great even off a 500.1 amp same goes for the 10w7 but the 9510 is just better, plain and simple.. by the way if you do decide to go w/the 12w7 i doubt u'll need to upgrade to a 1000.1 it'll be slighty too much power for the 12 and then you'll need to start looking at power, alternator, battery issues
I also have experience with all three subs, and I'm gonna say the opposite. The 9500 is loud as fvhk, but it can't play ball with the W7 in terms of SQ.

1000.1 too much power for a 12W7? Nonsense.

I also have experience with all three subs, and I'm gonna say the opposite. The 9500 is loud as fvhk, but it can't play ball with the W7 in terms of SQ.
1000.1 too much power for a 12W7? Nonsense.

is too much when you have a 500.1 that's overrated.. i believe that amp (500.1) is rated just about 700 or 685 watts at 3ohms which is enough for this cat.

what application did you hear the two (9500 & w7) subs in b/c i'm positive its tuning....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.