Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

big_mofo
10+ year member

Im Da *** Man!!!
ok so i bought my 2 subs from WoofersEct.com. after about two months they stopped working so i took them out the box and looked at them and noticed that the tinsel leads had come undone from the woofer cone(both). is that user error or an f up on memphis. i already contacted wooferect.com twice by email and i get a error returned message from them. so before i call and ask to replace them, was this problem on me or no??? any help guys would be appreciated. thanks.

If it happened on one, you might be able to call it devective, but to happen to both drivers two months after you purchased them... I would say it's user error. You must have given them too much power, or sent them a clipped signal, or played them too far below the tuning frequency of your enclosure; which would result in over-excursion, which would tear the leads.

Good job.

Your best option if WoofersEtc isn't getting back to you is to resolder the leads where they broke off. That or look into an install that uses less woofer excursion (ported, BP) or get woofers with a longer throw. Honestly you could use some thin wire to add length to the existing tinsel leads to allow for more throw, but it'd look ghetto as hell.

If it happened on one, you might be able to call it devective, but to happen to both drivers two months after you purchased them... I would say it's user error. You must have given them too much power, or sent them a clipped signal, or played them too far below the tuning frequency of your enclosure; which would result in over-excursion, which would tear the leads.
Good job.
i meant both leads came off of one of the cones, the other one has all of them connected but doesnt play. the cone is not locked up and the coil isnt fried. what would be wrong with it???

Perhaps it's your amp as well? Meaning something with the electrical went terribly wrong, fried the amp which took the speakers with it?

i meant both leads came off of one of the cones, the other one has all of them connected but doesnt play. the cone is not locked up and the coil isnt fried. what would be wrong with it???
Your speakers are wired together, correct?

So if the tinsel leads broke off one of the subs, then there is an incomplete circuit, which would explain why the sub does not play.

Unless you are playing it by itself, then I do not have an answer for you.

Perhaps it's your amp as well? Meaning something with the electrical went terribly wrong, fried the amp which took the speakers with it?
no it wasnt the amp, b/c i was powering a single 10 with it afterwards

Your speakers are wired together, correct?
So if the tinsel leads broke off one of the subs, then there is an incomplete circuit, which would explain why the sub does not play.

Unless you are playing it by itself, then I do not have an answer for you.
yes the subs were wired together

If one of the subs came apart, but the other one is just fine and working, then you could probably get it replaced. Hook up the sub that isn't broken, and see if it still plays.

sounds like over-excursion.

Your best option if WoofersEtc isn't getting back to you is to resolder the leads where they broke off. That or look into an install that uses less woofer excursion (ported, BP) or get woofers with a longer throw. Honestly you could use some thin wire to add length to the existing tinsel leads to allow for more throw, but it'd look ghetto as hell.
Adding wire yourself may cause it to slap the spider or cone.

sounds like over-excursion.

Adding wire yourself may cause it to slap the spider or cone.
yea, i agree. they are that length for a reason. Over excursion is just that ... moving beyond the mechanical limits of the sub from the manufacturer's specifications. Tinsel slap is only going to kill the leads even sooner.

Just contact Woofers Etc (I have dealt with them on the phone, no complaints here) and see if they will replace it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.