Sign in to follow this  
violator5spd

Do dimensions effect sound?

Let's say you've got 2 boxes with these dimensions:

29" width x 20" depth x 15" height

vs.

40" width x 14.5" depth x 15" height

considering their internal volumes are the same, would there be a difference in sound between the 2 boxes since one is deeper than the other? if a pair of 12's were in the box...? thanks

- John (AIM - ViolatorJF)

2000 Dodge Neon

DEH-P9300, JBL BP600.1, eD15A.22 in 2.5^3ft sealed

Originally posted by violator5spd

Let's say you've got 2 boxes with these dimensions:

29" width x 20" depth x 15" height

vs.

40" width x 14.5" depth x 15" height

considering their internal volumes are the same, would there be a difference in sound between the 2 boxes since one is deeper than the other? if a pair of 12's were in the box...? thanks

assuming the magnet clears the edge and everything, there is no difference, your no where near the size needed for standing waves to form, its kind of like the idea in bending ports for more length, the sub doesn't see the shape, but rather the overallsize. btw this is all in reguards to sealed enclosures, i would imagen the demensions matter a bit more for bandpass and ported (although probably not that muich more) in addition i am speaking about a human audiable level, not something that a computer can image or anything like that, just that we wouldn't hear the diference...this is kind of a grey area for me, so if im wrong feel free to chime in and tell me im an idiot...but with a little physics background this is what makes sence to me :)

I'm back to stock in my new car.....:(

alrighty, thanks...i didn't think the dimensions would really matter when it comes to sound

- John (AIM - ViolatorJF)

2000 Dodge Neon

DEH-P9300, JBL BP600.1, eD15A.22 in 2.5^3ft sealed

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this