Rohners fiberglass center councel work log

Rohner
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
BC
Well, I decided im sick of not having cup holders in my Ford Ranger and decided its time for change. So after 5 minutes of long hard thought, i decided to make myself a fiberglass center counsol that not only holds two drinks, but a couple mids aswell.

feel free to comment / criticize

Here's what i have to work with

glassing001za3.png

Here is my mold. Its composed of 2 layers of fiberglass.

glassing002qu7.png

glassing003xl4.png

PS- Ill be sure to vacume my carpet tomorrow:eek:

sorry about the spelling. Teachers didnt try hard enough with me.

new pics to be up soon!

get them pics up soon! I wanna see. I am almost convinced that I need to learn to fiberglass myself. How hard is this project? Is it a good one for someone who never did anything with fiberglass before?

i myself have never fiberglassed until today.. its a long process, but not "hard" by any means. I think its fun to do, and recomend it to anyone with the time, and money to blow.

Pics are uploading.

Next came covering it in felt fabric. This part was very tricky, it was impossible to stretch the material over the whole project withough wrinkles, so i had to do it in two pieces.

Not very pritty i know, lets hope my bondo skillz can clean this up.

glassing007ef3.png

glassing008xp3.png

glassing009tr8.png

glassing010lh1.png

Here's what it looks like after a coat of resin on the felt. This project is sure taking alot more resin then i origionally thought it would:(

I'v had to make a few trips down town for extra supplies.

Fun fact- 32oz of resin costs $18.00-$28.00 depending on the brand in canada.

glassing011bd8.png

glassing012kt1.png

glassing013jy1.png

im beginning to have second thoughts on the way i did the cup holders.. it woulda made way more sence if i had just used two seperate circles rather then a big block...

Ill have to see what can be done.

Actually the best way you could have set the cup holder in would be to make a ring that it fots down into out of wood. Stretch over that and then when you trim it, drop the cup holder in and fiberglass mat it in making it smooth.

Felt ***** for that use. 'Polydex' should have been your choice. It would have easily been covered in 1 piece.

And with just 2 layers of mat on your floor mold, it might warp on ya.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.