Two 12" BTL's or one 15" LMS-5400?

Why do you come off as saying I'm stupid? I didn't know BTL's were SPL subs, and I was looking at maybe preordering an LMS...ass.

Most likely niether. Especially if SQ is your goal.
yeah becuase LMS has nothing to do with sq...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

btl's are not for SQ at all obviously, and well..the 5400 is a giant speaker..Ive seen it in person and even got to mess around with it.. The 5400 just needs so much room and power, that I would say its not very practical. Maybe the 4100v2 or a couple of 3hp's would be a bit better...just IMO tho..

btl's are not for SQ at all obviously, and well..the 5400 is a giant speaker..Ive seen it in person and even got to mess around with it.. The 5400 just needs so much room and power, that I would say its not very practical. Maybe the 4100v2 or a couple of 3hp's would be a bit better...just IMO tho..

Just want to make a correction here

The box volume is directly related to the Q of the driver and of course the Vas, if you look at the Q of the LMS-5400 is remarkably low, in fact it will work in a smaller box than the TC-3000 if you wanted it too, the Sensitivity is also really high for a linear driver. 88dB for the 15" is respectable for an average driver and highly respectable for a linear driver that compensates BL product for quality. 88dB is right in line with the 15” RL-p, TC-3000, TC-2000, Mag 15” and Fi Q just to name some common examples off the top of my head.

So it should perform at about the level of the TC-3000 (or anything else with a similar sensitivity) watt for watt, but able to handle much more power and have a higher xmax for deeper bass because of the huge voice coil. -And lets not forget the linear distortion advantages

The LMS-4000 is the driver that requires a very large box and more power to achieve the same SPL. the sensitivity of the 15" 4000 is around 85dB, so it takes twice the power to reach the same SPL as the 5400. It also wants to see a much larger box. The 5400 is superior but more expensive and if considerable output is not your primary goal, the 4000 could be ideal, but is generally revered at as a hometheater driver because of the box volume requirements.

As far as raw output for car audio, the TC-3000 +CP or 5200 +SP/+CP would be what I would recommend from our line. The +CP does not degrade the quality at all, it merely restricts ultimate mechanical excursion when the driver is pushed beyond its linear limits. The advantage is a much lighter moving mass and more output as a result because of higher sensitivity, but you still get a very long coil for 30mm of xmax. I recommend the +CP for car audio because of the lack of emphasis on deep bass (below 30Hz) There is really no reason for a tall rubber surround if you are going with a high tuning frequency.

Despite the excursion videos you so commonly see online, ironically excursion is relatively unimportant for output when you tune your system high. For example 16Hz needs 4 times the excursion to reach the same SPL at 32Hz. I don’t think 16Hz is very popular for car audio, but in home audio, the demands for that kind of bass are uncanny.

yeah becuase LMS has nothing to do with sq...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
If think it has very *less* to do with sq than many other drivers; a heavily exaggerated low end is not really "sq".

Neil

If think it has very *less* to do with sq than many other drivers; a heavily exaggerated low end is not really "sq".
Neil
Do you realize it takes 4 times the excursion to make a 16Hz tone relative to a 32Hz tone. There is nothing exaggerated about low end output, if anything LMS attempts to make it more accurate to match the higher end frequency low-distortion tolerance. It does not increase output downlow, but rather lowers distortion. The xmax is the same, but the BL is linear.

There is not a traditional high excursion subwoofer that can match it for distortion. You have to use XBL^2/ or some other compensation to compete with LMS. This is measurable and entirely obvious. Linear BL product truly makes a measurable and audible difference in distortion. If you want a quality midrange driver, then go for low xmax and low inductance, but the bottom line is, over the years, subwoofers and progressed and become more and more demanding. This is why underhung drivers sound better than overhung drivers, and the next step is split gap or linear coil or dual coil or otherwise...

20 years ago we all though 2" p2p was plenty of excursion, but since then designs have become more and more robust. We have seen the limits of high excursion where distortion actually becomes a problematic issue, therefore new technologies and developments have taken form. LMS is one of those technologies and it allows to true high excursion without high distortion.

So if you want a "SQ" driver as you would say, but one that is able to do 20Hz with high output, you'll need to compensate or redesign your traditional approach in some way unless you want to tolerate more distortion.

Punk0Rama, have you honestly heard our LMS drivers? I don’t think Sony would have just bought 30 of them for their newest and most sophisticated recording studio if were not an SQ driver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.