6.5" separates - Most crankin', poundin' ones out there?

E368
10+ year member

North
I am looking for a set of loud, punchy, deep and strong 6.5" separates that will be the only speakers in my car other than some poor quality rear fill. These things have to crank to overpower my loud exhaust and road noise //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

I will be using a Nak CD400 headunit and powering the front separates with an Alpine PDX 4.150 (150watts x 2 or 300watts x 2 bridged). I listen to rock, pop, country, etc so these don't have to be the most delicate sounding speakers ever made.

What are my best options. I am willing to spend up to $500.

Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Boston Z6 or Pros, give them 300w per side and you should be happy.
I have never seen the Z6s before but boy are they expensive! Are they really that good? Are they better than the boutique brand speakers in the same price range, such as DLS and Focal?

install's the important thing.
there's an install sticky in the speakers section.

a good comp set + bad install = good tweeters, and no sound from the mids
Point taken //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Any Cliff notes for installing the mids in the kicks of a BMW 3 series?

Also, the real selling point of the Z6s is they claim to play down to 40Hz. Is this marketing hype or will these things really play that low? Most of the other 6.5s I am looking at only advertise a range down to 60Hz or so. Since these are the only speakers in my car play the low-range is very important to me.

for the OP, with that power i would get the new CDT HD62 with tw25 tweeters. i am running them right now at 180x2rms and its loud as hell, good sound quality too. if u want speakers that wang...im also planning to get the JBL c608gti. look it up, it has a beefy mid that has a voicecoil larger than 8 inch subs!

Thanks for all the feedback to my question. I need to buy these speakers ASAP so this info is very useful. Here is the current selection...

-Boston Z6 (Seem like the cat's ass but they are a bit more than I wanted to spend)

-Boston Pro60 (are they any good? they don't look very exciting but what do I know ?!?!)

-Rainbow slc's (never heard them but I know they have a good reputation)

-CDT HD62 with tw25 tweeters (never heard of them. Are they high-end?)

-Extremis + BG Neo 3's (totally lose me here! what are these?)

-MB Quart Q's (I had Quarts years ago and liked them. This must be there top series?)

What about my previous comment about how low they can play? The Boston Z6s is rated to 40Hz which seems mighty low...if it is true.

The CDT M-6 is supposedly a better 6.5" driver than the HD-6. I have them here but not installed yet. They do 40 also and supposedly pound like what you want $199.00 on sale now.

for the OP, with that power i would get the new CDT HD62 with tw25 tweeters. i am running them right now at 180x2rms and its loud as hell, good sound quality too. if u want speakers that wang...im also planning to get the JBL c608gti. look it up, it has a beefy mid that has a voicecoil larger than 8 inch subs!
The jbls have good midbass, but imo they dont sound very good at all. Midrange just isnt there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

E368

10+ year member
E368
North
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from