Box build in trunk

Participant count
  • Participant list

scooter924
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Has anyone had to build their box inside their trunk due to it being too large to fit in? I am currently in that situation. I am trying to plan everything out to see if it will work. The box is 5 cubes net, but the opening of my trunk is really small. I dont think I will have room to screw it together from the outside, so I was going to use L brackets as support on the inside. Would glue and L brackets be sufficient enough to strengthen the box? Thanks for your help.

im currently doing an in trunk build my self. you can use 1" square piece of wood cut to the length of the panel and screw from the inside. use glue. place the 1" x 1" suport and ither brad nail it or screw it in place. that will hold the panels in place very strongly. but still try and get glue in between the panels.

laters

I dont quite understand what you mean by using the wood pieces. Are you saying put an extra piece of wood everywhere I use a l bracket so there is more depth for the screw?

I dont quite understand what you mean by using the wood pieces. Are you saying put an extra piece of wood everywhere I use a l bracket so there is more depth for the screw?
Instead of L brackets, run 1" square pieces of wood along each seam. Then you can screw through the board into the walls of your box.

i think they are suggesting, take the top, leave a 3/4" edge around all sides, and make a "frame" of 1x1 wood that will fit snug inside the walls once you place the top on it. then u can screw thru the sides of the box into the "frame" of 1x1 wood u have placed on th top piece... and dont forget your liquid nails //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

if he cant screw it all together, what makes him be able to do it this way lol.
im guessing he cant screw it together from the top down cuz it will be too close to the rear deck, but maybe there is room on the sides he can get in and screw it that way

pre assemble the box outside the car with predrilled screws, put the box together in the car, glue the pieces together, and use a screwdriver bit and ratchet to get to the screws you cant reach

Ok thanks for all the help guys. And I can reach the front 16 or so inches of the box, but the other 7 inches in back is too tight to fit any tools back there.

this is what i mean. "][/url]

i hope it helps
Ok I am about ready to start my build and have a question. Would you recommend using the pieces of wood all the way around the box, including the port. I was planning on using them for all the sides but wasnt sure about whether to use them inside the port or not. Thanks.

It is an L port on the left side of the box. BTW, excellent picture //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.