Going Ported. Upgrade Or Downgrade???

JoseMCeee
10+ year member

$tack
Bay Area, CA
Right now I have 2 10 Inch JBL Power Series on a jbl gt1201.1 amp. They are sealed with about .85 cubes each. Sometimes they dont have enough hit or bass for me. I listen to mainly rap and they miss that deep low end most of the time. Would porting one of the tens in about 1.4-1.7 cubes @ 30-34 hz be better for me?

fo sho

especially with rap music

install dependent, but alot of the time, 1 ported is louder than 2 sealed, speaking in terms of the exact same model subs.

why not use both?

i hope you don't mean porting 1 and leaving the other sealed, that would be no fun.

if only using 1 to save room then i think you'd enjoy it, but don't sell other 1 incase you wanna go back.

no, sealed boxes get lower.ported boxes can be louder at tuneing. turn your ssf off, x over at 60 and turn gains up.

Ok yea I will probably do that then.

I would use both of them and I do have a design ready but that would take up my entire trunk and leave no space at all.

And I would only port one and sell the other one.

those lows are gonna get a LOT louder
Totally dependant on the design...tune low and yes...they will be a lot louder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

well, he said he's tuning to 30hz

there's no way he has flat response that low in that sealed box

not only that, but that ported box isn't big enough to give flat response that low either, so it's gonna get a LOT louder if he's going from a rolloff to a peak in the same freq. range

well, he said he's tuning to 30hz
there's no way he has flat response that low in that sealed box

not only that, but that ported box isn't big enough to give flat response that low either, so it's gonna get a LOT louder if he's going from a rolloff to a peak in the same freq. range
Ok so ported is sounding a lot better right now.

http://jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=P1024&cat=SUB&ser=POS&language=ENG&country=US&region=USA

JBL recommends 1.25 cuft @ 33 hz. 1.5 cuft sounds better to me. Still dont know what tuning would be best for me tho. I want the lows to hit. Sound good but still get it loud. Maybe 32?

I think you would be better off someone designing a box for you...its really worth it and I wish I had done it this time around for my 15...

Ok so ported is sounding a lot better right now.
http://jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=P1024&cat=SUB&ser=POS&language=ENG&country=US&region=USA

JBL recommends 1.25 cuft @ 33 hz. 1.5 cuft sounds better to me. Still dont know what tuning would be best for me tho. I want the lows to hit. Sound good but still get it loud. Maybe 32?

Go with JBL's recommendation if you aren't sure of what you want. A 33hz tuning will get plenty low. Design a box according to those specs and you won't be dissapointed.

O yea I never design the box on my own. I doubt I will go with the JBL recommendation... it seems to small.

Moe Lester is the one that hooks me up wit the designs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.