possible cause for tweeter 'hissing'?

Participant count
  • Participants list

whitemdx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SoCal
Finally got my system installed using an LOC instead of trying to spliced RCA's into the factory HU supposely 'low-level' signals.

I am quite happy with how the sound of the equipment. Only problem I noticed is that when I turn the volume on the HU (factory bose HU) all the way down, there is noticable 'hissing' or 'buzzing' noise coming out of both tweeters. When the volume is turned up, it blend in with the sound, so it really doesn't bother or affect the sound. Just curious what can be the problem? I am using a David Navone LOC and tapping into the speaker inputs for signal to the amp. Could that be it? No engine noise, just from the tweets. Thanks.

That LOC has a high voltage output IIRC.

I would set or reset your gains. With the 8 volts or so it is putting out you should not need to set the gain very high.

Setting your gains properly can help to reduce system noise. Simliarly, having your gains cranked will raise the noise floor and can cause hiss to be much more audible.

Set the gains quickly last night by ears. Will use test tone and DMM later to verify. Thanks.

BTW, what does 'IIRC' stand for?

What ever happened the fb box you started?
Got the fiberglass box completed a while back, just waiting for my equipment to be replaced. Everything is in working orders now! Will have pics later today.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/read.gif.ff512c499c00ed3faae9a20f4b088b29.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif
Guys, the "hiss" is the noise floor.. and it's supposed to be buried in the S/N of the system. If you can hear the noise floor, then the system's gain structure is not up to your standards... Time to get a scope and test disc, and get things set correctly.
BTW, a wire cannot create a "hiss"... it's just a passive element... Hiss is not picked up in signal cables, or speaker wires, by any inductive processes I've ever seen.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.