Weird relay problem...

Participant count
  • Participants list

mastarecoil
10+ year member

Indiana
I am trying to hook up an automotive relay for turning on my amps. I have tripled checked that my wires are okay.

30 to battery

87 to amps

86 to trigger supply

85 to ground

My trigger supply is a power antenna turn on. This car has no power antenna, so the relay is the only draw to this source. I have read about others sucesfully using this as the remote input for their amps (with and without a relay) so I believe it should provide enough current, those automotive relays dont draw much anyways.

When the power antenna wire is not connected to the relay, it reads a nice 12volts. When it is connected, however, the relay does not trigger and I only measure 1volt.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Thanks!

Hmm sounds like you have an interesting problem. The relay is def. wired correctly. You check for a short on the remote line? You sure you have 12 on the amps power wire?

Yes, I am sure there are no shorts and that their is 12 volts on the power wire.

Also, I connected a constant 12v source to 86 (where my power antenna should be) and it worked just fine.

Hmm seems like your screwed then. There must be something wrong with that power ant. output. I cant see a relay requiring that much more amperage to trigger than the power ant wire can output that it would drop down to 1v. Why now just jump over to the accessory wire?

Its a 2003 Taurus.

There is no accessory wire or any other wire to connect to. THe power antenna wire is the only power source which turns on and off with the radio, the rest avalible are constant.

is there still 12v on the power antenna lead when in cd mode?

plus relays usually only require 100-200 approx, milli volts to activate and i can assure you that that is present in that lead, try running a wire from the fuse panel into an accesory then run that to the back and try that

Ok i'm not sure bout the taurus but I know a lot of newer fords only use a 5 volt turn on. So maybe tis not really 12 volts to begin with on that line? But forget my statement earlier about using the acc wire for the radio as I am sure you want to amps to turn on and off with the radio. Your best bet in this case would be to use a low voltage trigger. They only require about .5 volts to turn on and will output

12v. So the 1v you are getting should activate this piece. But if it doesnt a low voltage trigger can also be hooked up to a speaker line and will activate from that signal.

I know peripheral makes one but I dont know who might have it for sale. I know radio shack used to carry one but I dont think they do any longer. I will try a quick search for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.