Getting into SPL competition? Where to start?

Lurius
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Well, I have started to get interested in possibly competing sometime. I am about to be finished with my deadening, and am in the process of seeking out two 10" RE SX's and a new amp(2000w range), and then I was thinking of giving an SPL competition a try. I havent really seen any definitive basic information on the basics of SPL competitions such as the terms used and the typical rundown of how a competition works(I know there are different groups, and different rules). Anyone care to point me in the right direction of where to start looking to get the basics down?

Thanks,

Lurius

Looking at the one local SPL comp that I know ow, if I use an amp rated at 1600rms@1ohm then i'll fall into the 0-400w amateur class, I think thats a good place to start, the bottom! I just need to find an under rated 1600w amp now. Im doing away with the kicker amp in my sig, it was good, but I am only using the two front speakers and dont need a 4 channel now, especially not one thats 25" with the end caps on lol, i'll use the alpine for my front speakers, it has a .08% THD, so it will definantly sound better, and this will free up space for the new amp/s for the new subs once I get them.

-Lurius

Yea definately attend the local competitions. Read up on the rules for all the other organizations.

IASCA

USACI

MECA

DB DRAG

I know there are others, but I cant think of them right now

Wow, thats some long rules lol. Looking at the DB drag it looks like i'd easily fall into Street A, nifty. Im going to have to take a look at the results most in that class seem to get and see how well i'd do.. should be fun =)

-Lurius

That "string test" is hard to image in my mind, anyone have a better example than they do? lol.

Can you set a box on TOP of the seats, but leave them in? My trucks(ext cab) have very little space otherwise, im going to be having to use a sealed enclosure just because I dont have space anywhere but under the rear seats and on top of the seats heh.

-Lurius

That "string test" is hard to image in my mind, anyone have a better example than they do? lol.
Can you set a box on TOP of the seats, but leave them in? My trucks(ext cab) have very little space otherwise, im going to be having to use a sealed enclosure just because I dont have space anywhere but under the rear seats and on top of the seats heh.

-Lurius
plus you won't have to worry about any comps in the DFW area. the ONLY nationally organized show in the DFW area is USACI in two weeks in Caddo Mills. TBP is the only thing going on THIS year in DFW:up2somet:

plus you won't have to worry about any comps in the DFW area. the ONLY nationally organized show in the DFW area is USACI in two weeks in Caddo Mills. TBP is the only thing going on THIS year in DFW:up2somet:
Well then, lol. TBP it is then. =)

Looking at the scores though, I dont think whatever i'll be putting together will be enough to be any kind of real threat there heh.

-Lurius

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.