dB

AlpineUser
10+ year member

Bumpin
how much is a dB meter that i could mount in my glove box or front dash and i learned in Phys. Science that 120 db causes hearing loss lol looks like might go deaf lol 150 is a rock concert 170 is a plane taking off 200 is a rocket taking off lol

does like anyplace like best buy circuit city or even walmart sell them? any help appriciated

lol, those numbers are so wrong its just not funny!!!
rock concert would be lucky to do 120dBs....

if something produced 200dBs, the world may very well explode :p lol
nope its in my phys science book and do you know how loud a f'n rocket is and a rock concert is easily 150

I'm guessing your physics text book is written in Mexico or something then... lol
seeing as I believe the world record for the loudest rock concert was in the 120dBs...

ah well, believe what you wanna... I'm sure your subs will do 150dBs then aswell... :p
DBB, you dont wanna mess with this kid. He knows his stuff and will e-bash you in a heartbeat. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153417

I'm guessing your physics text book is written in Mexico or something then... lol
seeing as I believe the world record for the loudest rock concert was in the 120dBs...

ah well, believe what you wanna... I'm sure your subs will do 150dBs then aswell... :p
'The Who' set a record in 1975 at 130db. Through a Google search, I found it was broken by a band called 'Deep Purple", but it didn't give a decimal number.

and a google of them found: "Deep Purple’s record was 117 decibels"
hmm.. lol..
Hmm indeed...

"The Who's live performances were traditionally extremely loud. For most of the 1970s and 1980s they were listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the loudest Rock band in the world, measured at 130 decibels, though other bands, notably Deep Purple, have since taken over that dubious honour. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who

Anyhow, a few years back, I would go to shows once or twice a week. Two or three times I've had stand beside large floor speakers for 10-15 minutes at a time. My ears would ring for a few days. So it can get loud enough to cause permanent damage.

I think your book is off a little bit. I remember reading that a rocket taking off is 180 db's, and if I'm not mistaking a plane taking off is like 140db.

nope its in my phys science book and do you know how loud a f'n rocket is and a rock concert is easily 150
Unfortunately our education system is flawed. The books used in our schools are chosen by a committee from all areas of education. Each member on this committee is supposed to read a bunch of the candidates and vote on the best. Unfortunately they hardly ever read the books and most of the time vote on which ever company has given them more bribes… It’s kind of like the senate.

As an example I know of a physical science book that wants you to calculate the wavelength of "green" and "purple" stars. It's sad really.

I have no doubt that if your book says those dB readings, it is wrong.

On one hand I think you need to grow up and learn the meaning of respect...On the other hand Radio Shack has cheap dB meters

200db is nothing. type r's can easily hit 240+//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

dB(SPL) Source (with distance)

194 Theoretical limit for a sound wave at 1 atmosphere environmental pressure

180 Rocket engine at 30 m;

Krakatoa explosion at 100 miles in air(160 km)[1]

150 Jet engine at 30 m

140 Rifle being fired at 1 m

130 Threshold of pain; train horn at 10 m

120 Rock concert; jet aircraft taking off at 100 m

110 Accelerating motorcycle at 5 m; chainsaw at 1 m

100 Jackhammer at 2 m; inside disco

90 Loud factory, heavy truck at 1 m

80 Vacuum cleaner at 1 m, curbside of busy street

70 Busy traffic at 5 m

60 Office or restaurant inside

50 Quiet restaurant inside

40 Residential area at night

30 Theatre, no talking

10 Human breathing at 3 m

0 Threshold of human hearing (with healthy ears)

Wiki-info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AlpineUser

10+ year member
Bumpin
AlpineUser
St. Charles Mo
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date