High End?

Oak244
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ohio
So has anyone been able to test many of the high end speakers out there? I do not have any high end speaker dealers local so I have to depend on others suggestions. I will be running a 4 amp system so I will not need passive crossovers. This could allow me to mix an match companies if needed. Basically I am wondering if I need an upgrade before my install begins. I will have a Tweeter, Mid, Midbass and a sub layout planned. I currently have the First version of the CDT Eurosport 5.25 set. I will be using a CDT-EF8 8" midbass woofer in the doors. I will be putting the mid and tweet in the kick panels.

So any ideas on a smooth sounding mid and tweet for my system?

I ask because I already want to change the tweeters as one of mine is broken, so really all I have left to get is a woofer. And like I say, since I have an active crossover network and 4 US-Amp amplifiers, I do not need the passive crossovers. I also am not sure I need a 5.25 woofer for mids if I have an 8" in the doors for midbass. I listen to a lot of Jazz/Classical/Folk type music, so I am looking for a speaker with excellent detail without ear piercing highs. I typically use Silk tweeters in my installs.

The equipment I have now should be listed below. Of course if you think what I have is fine say so. Thanks!

well I don't think you can beat the SEAS Lotus reference mid, most will agree with that. Plenty of tweets will fit the bill for you. I have only tried the Lotus ref fabrics, so i can't tell you that much.

colin i just purchased the seas lotus reference aluminum tweets //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. and might i tell you they are awesome. they are like my LPG 25NFA but on steroids. i love the being able to cross these low. it has widened my stage. also these things are as detailed as you can get. very smoothe. not harsh at all. love them and would recommend them.

also what is your budget?

Budget is unlimited... well without going too insane. Consider my current set was $599.99 which will give some idea what kind of stuff I am used to using.

Running active with a good budget I'd probably look at a Seas or Scanspeak midbass. The L22 Seas will play extremely low and sound great. If you really don't mind spending money, the W22EX Seas will be a bit better than the L22s and have about the lowest distortion and most detail that you will find. A Scanspeak Revelator 7" would also be great as a midbass, but is even more expensive than those. I'd say get the Seas L22 for midbass, as they should be plenty and are $150ish for a pair.

For a midrange, the Scanspeak 4" Revelator is considered about as good as it gets if you have the space for a 4". You could also get a 4" Seas Excel but it won't play as high as the Revelator. A pair of Revelator midranges will be $430, the Seas would probably be $275-$350. If you really want to go crazy into the more esoteric brands, ATC dome midranges are about $1,000 a pair.

In terms of tweeters, a large format dome such as a Seas millenium or one of the very high-end Scanspeaks would be great. If you want to try something different, and have a big budget, a pair of Aurum Cantus G1s would be incredible (but $1,000 for the pair and BIG - you could get by with a 2-way with these, though).

Hmm Well lets look at it this way. I enjoy the sound of my speakers now, so justifying $1,000 is a bit much. I can not justify a sound increase worth $1,000. Right now I have CDT 8" woofers for midbass which I will build custom fiberglass enclosures on my doors. Then the midrange and tweeter will be custom installed in the kick panels of my car in custom fiberglass as well. So technically I can install any size speaker that will fit in the kicks. While I have an automatic trans, I have space as well with no clutch pedal to worry about. However at the same time I do not want to intrude too much and kill the foot space. I was thinking a 1" tweet and 4" midrange in the kicks, 8" in the doors and a 12" Stereo Integirty sub in the trunk.

Well, for a 4" mid the Scanspeak is the one to get if you have the cash. At $430 a pair, they are pricy. The ATCs are HUGE so that's not really something to consider. Depending how high you want the mid to play, you could get a Seas Excel or Lotus mid. In terms of tweeters, Seas Reference is probably really good bang for the buck and it can play low so you could get the cheaper Seas mids. This is of course if you want high end, you could easily get great sound from cheaper drivers.

Well to help you understand my intentions... I listen to a lot of music with instruments that play from very low ranges to very high. I am not a hip hop listener, where a set of subs in the rear make a system sound awesome. Instead, my music is very dynamic, and I can not stand when I hear the top end of the instrument comming from the front, an the bottom end comming from the sub. However to cross the subs at say 50-60 Hz, and expect my midranges to pick up, just does not do the music justice. This is why I want a midbass driver up front, to get all the piano, and wood wind instruments up front with the rest. That way I can run my sub very low, so only the what needs to comes out of it. After reading a little... I wonder if my weakest point may be my CDT Midbass drivers. I have not hooked them up yet, but it sounds like the SEAS 7" driver is well reviewed. I am wondering if an entire front end revamp is in order! lol

Does a SEAS Tweet, Scanspeak 4" and SEAS 7" sound good? Or would all SEAS be plenty good?

What I was kinda told was this... Using all US Amps stats

Sub 0-60Hz 900 Watts

Midbass 60-500 Hz 150 Watts

Midrange 350-1.6khz 100 Watts

Tweets 1.4khz-20khz 50 Watts

Something like that

lol Yeah I just realized SEAS and Scanspeak both have lots of speakers. Basically I will need more help here on which ones to consider.

yea like i said do some reading at diymobileaudio about both of those companies. theres a lot of information regarding those companies at that site. but so far i got my seas lotus reference tweets in and they are awesome. can play very low. i have them crossed at 2khz @ 24db but can easily play at 1.6 khz.

btw, nice amps man!

If you just want to run a 7" as a midbass, the L18 is probably best simply because of the cost. I have W18NXs which I haven't gotten a chance to install yet, which are from the Excel line. They are the newer Seas mids and are often regarded as their best yet, but I'm not sure there's a real reason to use them as a pure midbass when the L18s are so much cheaper for similar performance. If you have the room, the 5.5" Seas Nextel mids would be very nice, and are not much more than half the cost of the Scanspeaks.

Like I say, I have as much room as I am willing to loose in footspace :) If a 5.5 driver is needed, I can use one. I mean my original intention was to put my 5.25 CDT driver in there. I just thought since I was using a dedicated woofer for midbass, maybe a 4" could sound better and take up less space. It was just a thought.

Well this month I have to pay taxes :-( and really I need the weather to get a little warmer to start the fiberglass projects. So I have time to study this and make a decision. I am looking at that site you gave me. Thanks, yes there is tons of info there.

Keep the ideas a commin! The more opinions I get the better judgement I can make in the long run. Like said, there seems to be many different speakers offered by these companies, so specific woofer and tweeter names will help :)

Oh and ty for the amp comment. Some from these sites turned me on to US Amps, and oh my do I love them! I first tried the little 50 to test one and it blew away all other similar amps bar none! I was instantly sold!

the perfect 3-way for me would be

dedicated midbass (Peerless XLS 8s) $150 @ solen.ca (10mm+ xmax...)

dedicated midrange (Peerless Exclusive 4.5/5.5 (if you've got the room) 8ohm

Dayton Reference 5" RS125 4ohm (cheap, sound great, and are 4 ohm)

Scanspeak Revelator 4.5... if you're rolling in the $$$

dedicated tweeter (LCY 108s) without a doubt the best tweeter suited for kickpanels and the car environment. They have amazing on and off-axis response (flat to 10khz @ 60* and +/- 5dB to 20khz @ 60*)... they'll cost you a pretty penny though

You can pick them up off solen.ca or speaking with npdang at diymobileaudio could save you a few bucks on those ($350 maybe less for a pair if you know the right people)

perfect 2-way would be

Seas Excel W18NX 7" Nextel $154 each

LCY 108s

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.