Alpine cda-9855 vs Eclipse CD8445 :overall plus ease of operation..

kingsxman
10+ year member

Noob in training
Down to these 2. I'm working with wholesaler to replace all my stuff that was just stolen. Had decided on CDA-9855 as deck but have heard so many things about the Eclipse that I had to post one final time for a comparison from people who have used both.

Glide touch: wont bug me as it sounds like I'll get used to it.

Preamp outs: Advantage Eclipse. I know Eclipse has 8v preamp outs and Alpine has 4 volt.

However, a big thing for me is ability to do quick EQ Adjustements for Sub level. I know the Alpine is setup so that you push the volume button and Sub level is first thing on the menu...so thats nice. I have heard a couple different stories on the 8445 so I'm wondering for sure how you adjust it. Still curious which has the better overall EQ.

I think both have about the same level of time adjustment.

So..let me know your final opinions. I can get the Alpine via the insurance company...Eclipse I have to "go the extra mile" so to speak to get it.

you seem to be inquiring about the exact same head units i inquired a bout, it came down to these 3:

eclipse 8445

alpine 9855

kenwood xxv-01d

i talked to people with all 3, went to different stores and played with all 3 and also got to talk to about 10 different people that owned all 3. i chose the kenwood and it is simply awesome.

8455 offers better fronstage tuning than the Alpine, plus 24bitdacs and better preouts. The 9855 is more of an mp3 control oriented hu w/ the glidestrip.

The Kenwood is no match in comparison to those two in terms of tuning- EQ, Time alignment and active crossovers- it simply doesnt offer much, they should've given more audiophile functions rather than graphics.

8455 offers better fronstage tuning than the Alpine, plus 24bitdacs and better preouts. The 9855 is more of an mp3 control oriented hu w/ the glidestrip.
The Kenwood is no match in comparison to those two in terms of tuning- EQ, Time alignment and active crossovers- it simply doesnt offer much, they should've given more audiophile functions rather than graphics.
while the 8455 is a superior unit it probably more than he can/wants to spend.

the 8445 can be had for 300 while it will be atleast 500 probably more for the 8455.

if it was me i would probably go for the alpine out of the 2 he listed since the 8445 cant do active.

but i am not sure about the other features (TA, EQ)

~Magick_Man~

Active isnt a concern for me. I'm mainly interested in SQ, TA, ability to do MP3 and a good EQ with the ability to make adjustments to sub level on the fly.

How did they steal your 5.25's and 6x9's? Did you have extra insurance to cover this stuff?
They didnt get the speakers. (Should have pointed that out..). Found out after talking to the lot attendant that after they watched the video they show the dude pulling into the lot at 4:00 am...taking 1/2 hour to drive from car to car..hitting some fo them. Sounds like the as*hole grabbed the stuff in my cab...then got spooked and left. Came back later and hit my trunk where he got most of the "good stuff".

*****. Insurance is really taking care of me though I have to say. Props to State Farm. I am getting pretty much everything replaced. But I'm going to upgrade a bit on the deck...hence my questions about the 2 HU's.

Only thing I have ever had stolen was a sub/box but it wasn't bolted down. Everything that was they just left. The insurance company wouldn't pay because IT WASN'T bolted down. Was yours? If they paid with it not that is outstanding! I have come to the conclusion if it takes time to get the stuff out they won't bother!

while the 8455 is a superior unit it probably more than he can/wants to spend.the 8445 can be had for 300 while it will be atleast 500 probably more for the 8455.

if it was me i would probably go for the alpine out of the 2 he listed since the 8445 cant do active.

but i am not sure about the other features (TA, EQ)

~Magick_Man~
My mistake.....that leaves the the alpine as the most flexible unit, but i have to comment on its ease of operation. I find it to be very poorly implemented with too many menu's under one knob and making you use the glidestip to navigate. You also cannot raise or lower volume while you set you xovers/ EQ realtime-which is pointless and a no-no...

yea i totally forget about that real time tuning whenever i talk about eclipse. probably the greatest thing in there. makes tuning so much easier!
Exactly how is one supposed to test the setting one has used with the Alpine? You back out of 30 menus so you can raise your volume just to find out you need to make a change and continue tuning by going through the **** 30 menus again. Now, I'm not a violent person by any means, but I just wanted to bash my brothers face in for getting that POS last summer because tuning was so frustrating and time consuming.

With the eclipse you have the RTN button to back right out of any menu a click or two away.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.