DIY budget Home Theater subwoofer?

thadman
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Indiana
I am contemplating building a DIY Home Theater for my Xbox 360/Computer and have decided on these drivers

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=8818261.24572&pid=2038

Can anyone help me design a passive filter for those? I can get each driver for approximately $11. The purpose of this is to create a cheaper/better sounding solution that Klipsch's Promedia 5.1 system. Will 1 driver per channel have enough output to best the klipsch system or should I add 2 drivers for the front and left stereo channels and the centers?

How much do passive filters cost to produce?

What subwoofer would do well with these drivers and not drown them out...just right. Its main purpose is to replicate large explosions, so Sound Quality isnt of huge concern as its main purpose is home theater although I would like it to sound nice.

Would a Peerless XLS 12" mate nice with these? How are Dayton DVCs? How much power should I send the sub? I can get a Behringer Europower amplifier (ep2500 is 2400 watts @ 4ohms=$300, ep1500 is 1400 watts @ 4ohms=$250, and the a500 is 540 watts @ 8ohms = $180) Power really is limitless, the subwoofer is just the link. Does the A500 reference have noticeably better sound quality than the Europower?

Would it benefit me at all to go with 7 channels? The Soundcard I will be using is either an M Audio Revolution 7.1 or 5.1 (only a slight difference) and itd only be about $20 more to add 2 more channels.

2 each for front left and right and center channel

1 each for rear channels

How about the subwoofer which was my main concern? Can anybody help me on that choice? I dont want it to overpower the mids.

How about the subwoofer which was my main concern? Can anybody help me on that choice? I dont want it to overpower the mids.
go look at the 'your ht sub' thread to get an idea of what you might want. same thing on icixsound.com

Those aren't diy subs. I would like to build my own. Do you have any recommendations?
did you even read through a few of the pages?? did u try the same one over at icix? tell me why none of those are do it yourself.

Ive waded through most of that and I havent found what im looking for.

How low do Ascendant Audio Atlas's go?

I am familiar with Car Audio but not HT, how low would you normally port a box?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.