Sigh... Wonder if I fried my amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

phildapimp89
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
IL
Parents told me to take the sub out of the car, so I did, and I put caps on the two sub wires...

Problem is somehow my dad knocked them off when he was moving something, and when my mom was driving she noticed there was a burning smell so my dad went to go check it out and of course the wires were touching...

My dad went to go put the sub back in and he couldn't get it working because my RCA cables are screwy... So he moved down the seat in the car to check it out but the wires were still connected to the box so the sub wires on the amp got yanked out. Hes fixing them now, probably making a disaster.

What effects do touching the two wires exactly do?

Think my amps fried? My dad said the bass worked for a few seconds but then cut out(from my poor rca cables) and now hes trying to hook it all back up...

Ah well... No job, no money, probably no system //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Bah I have no idea whats wrong... Mom smelled the burning noise. Hooked it back up it plays but its barely audible... I think im just going to rip it all out soon I'm getting sick of my family ruining my systems(this is my 3rd)

I dont see how your speaker wire could cause a burning smell unless it blew a fuse in your amp......i mean if the power and ground touched it would be sparkin and prob catch on fire and yes that would lead to a burning smell lol, have u checked the fuses on your amp? because that might be the prob but if your gettin sound then that isnt the case:confused:

You could have had a blown fuse. Maybe your power wire came loose and made contact with some kind of metal, that will always cause some sparks to come out (which also leads to blowing the fuse). The reason the amp may have not turned on could have been because of either the RCAs...check your remote wire;) ...they come loose alot and people think their amps are ruined. Glad its running but still check every wire, make sure everything is connected. Don't take the power wire out with out disconnecting the battery first. Also if you are going to disconnect the power wire make sure you disconnect it before the ground wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

phildapimp89

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
phildapimp89
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date