Wood Answer Now!!!

193dBman
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
VA
I thought the title would grab attention. But neways, i'm wondering if 2.25" mdf would be strong enough not to brace in long runs. I'm gunna have panels spanning 48x48" or there about and i was wondering if i used 2.25" mdf would i still have to brace. Thank you.

wow. that IS thick wood. HEAVY TOO. Brace, just in case. Long pieces are easier to get moving, long AND wide, even though it is over 2" thick, I'd brace.

PICS of THIS project for sure.

Laminate 2 1" peices, and you shouldnt require bracing. 1" MDF BARELY flexes on a whole sheet, so id say that 2 laminted together wouldnt budge.

Umm...a big box? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I remember John posted pictures of a box he built with 2" MDF, with his girlfriend inside the box. Beefy stuff.

Umm...a big box? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I remember John posted pictures of a box he built with 2" MDF, with his girlfriend inside the box. Beefy stuff.
wasnt it some other kind of "wood" besides mdf? snova correct?

I thought the title would grab attention. But neways, i'm wondering if 2.25" mdf would be strong enough not to brace in long runs. I'm gunna have panels spanning 48x48" or there about and i was wondering if i used 2.25" mdf would i still have to brace. Thank you.
2 peices of 3/4 glued together would work the best, if not 1 inch should work and not flex , and whoever said a whole sheet of MDF doesnt bend , yeah right, have 2 people hold each end and it'll bend noticable, even one inch will, but i doubt at 4ft by 4 ft

That was me that said that, and of course it bends a little(thats why it says HARDLY), but not nearly as much as 3/4" thus the reason why i said to laminate 2 together.

actually this question is for a wall, i wanted to triple up 3/4" mdf on the big big pieces because thats where the speakers will actually be mounted+ the "dance floor" because it'll be rather large as well. Thanks for the answers though, i should be starting this on saturday or sunday so pics will soon follow.

actually this question is for a wall, i wanted to triple up 3/4" mdf on the big big pieces because thats where the speakers will actually be mounted+ the "dance floor" because it'll be rather large as well. Thanks for the answers though, i should be starting this on saturday or sunday so pics will soon follow.
2 will be enough, but if you want three, just make sure enough pressure is applyed when glueing the 3 togther, since 3 3/4 why not just 2 1" much easier

i cant really find 1" around here, i have access to a lowes and home depot and i have never found 1" mdf at either.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

i had 2 layers of .75" on all the sides except the front baffle which was 3 layers...if i was going to do it again, id put 2 layers of 1" on all and 3 for the front baffle.

Plan on doing atleast 4-5" walls in the van though, so like I said..if you plan on actually driving the thing, you should be fine with what you have planned..if youre not, and its for spl...overkill it 2x.

you wont find 1" at howes or hd, but a lumber yard should have it...hell get something bigger if they have it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.