RMS question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Symon_say
10+ year member

You can't get me
I was reading old threads and found that you can overpower speakers if you have in consideration the hp on x-over i want to make my speakres sound loud, i have alpine sps-170A 40W RMS and want to know if anybody have overpower this or what do rms do you recommmend me to send and what freq put the x-over.

Thanks

I ahve always been a believer in the simple rule: more speakers blow because of not enough power then too much.

I would get a nice 75 watt per channel amp - it will not work as hard and should sound great.

I have always believed in the rule of truth: More speakers blow because of overpowering than underpowering, or because of idiots //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It's true to a certain extent that if you have a highpass crossover (depending on what freq. and slope) vs. no xover at all, usually the one on the HP will handle more power. Lower frequency will tend to take more power to reproduce than higher frequency.

Send the speaker as much as you can. Give it headroom. Just know when to turn down the volume knob if it smells funny or makes funny noises.

I dont know how many times I have to say it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I ahve always been a believer in the simple rule: more speakers blow because of not enough power then too much.
and you are also believing in myths //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

As Gsteg said........a speaker can mechanically handle more power with a higher crossover point. But you can never exceed the speaker's thermal limitations without damaging the speaker. Just be aware of where those limitations are.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.