Fiberglass ported box plans

MadItalian
10+ year member

Arizona
As i posted earlier in the subwoofer section, i am planning on putting a 12in RL-p in the trunk of my Gto. This car has a very small trunk, so i want to keep the most amount of space possible. Would be possible to make a fiberglass mold from the left side of the trunk, then build an mdf box out from this mold to make a ported box? I attached some pictures of my trunk to give a better idea of what im talking about. I basiclly want it to turn out looking like a normal mdf ported box, but i want to utilize the corner area of the trunk by making that part a fiberglass mold, then once the box is past all of the nasty curves, use mdf for the straight section. I also wouldnt know where to point the sub and port, but would this concept work?

In the picture, the red line shows how far left a conventional box would be able to fit, this would be working with about 17.5in of depth(leaving about 2-3 in of spacing) and 16 in of height. With these dimensions, a suitable box for this woofer would have to be over 23in past the red line, which would take up the majority of the trunk, i was hoping that using fiberglass for the left corner area would allow me to keep alot more trunk space. what do u think???

i think if you carefully select your driver, and find one that needs the lest amount of space to sound its best, you could build a .7~1.0cu ft sealed enclosure. using the last picture you posted for reference, make the enclosure to fit the driver side of the red line. make the back out of FG, molding it to every curve there is on the walls and floor. the front of it make it in MDF. then measure the internal volume of the enclosure, then make it all pretty, and last but not least go buy the sub that will play well in that enclosure volume you just built. there allot of guys that have built similar enclosures that might be able to give you detail advise on how to do it.

PS: i know you want ported. but when space is limited, a sealed enclosure should do just fine.

or build a ported box like this one. that will lay against the back seats.

The concept works great. But I don't think you have enough room to go ported with your size restrictions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I might end up doing a sealed enclosure in the corner just to keep things simple, especially since ive never had a system before. What are some subs that would do extremely well in a sealed enclosure? Ya i want it to get loud, thats why im spending all of this money...im thinking i should just save for a 12 w7

w7 would be a good choice for a sealed application if you can afford it. If not look into a w6 they still get pretty loud sealed and cost alot less.

My memphis prs are loud as hell but I never heard them sealed so I cant say for sure how they would sound in a sealed box.

I might end up doing a sealed enclosure in the corner just to keep things simple, especially since ive never had a system before. What are some subs that would do extremely well in a sealed enclosure? Ya i want it to get loud, thats why im spending all of this money...im thinking i should just save for a 12 w7

Wise choice brother man. You should have plenty of room to build a very sturdy sealed enclosure. And still access the spare with no probs. I'm not a big promoter of brands. I would say try to listen to as many in a sealed application as you can. My ears aren't going to know what your ears like //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.