Is it POSSIBLE to install TWO head units?

BodegaBay
10+ year member

AV Enthusiast
I love music and SQ through my Eclipse 8455 head unit. However, I was considering adding a DVD/LCD head unit but do not want to sacrifice my music. I am not interested in buying a Eclipse CD/DVD/GPS combo unit, just interested to see if it's possible to install two independent H/U's.

Thanks PTDM.

Regarding your suggestion to use a separate LCD screen + DVD changer. How would that be connected to my Eclipse head unit + outboard amps? Is it merely the LCD AUDIO [RCA] output to the Eclipse's AUX [RCA] input?

Also, I presume that LCD screens are available in DIN fold out units as well?

Thanks PTDM.
Regarding your suggestion to use a separate LCD screen + DVD changer. How would that be connected to my Eclipse head unit + outboard amps? Is it merely the LCD AUDIO [RCA] output to the Eclipse's AUX [RCA] input?

Also, I presume that LCD screens are available in DIN fold out units as well?

The LCD will hook up to the DVD changer, and the DVD will hook up to the HU via the aux preouts. I am sure you will be able to find a DIN screen, I have never seen them without the HU though, but they must exist..

The more I think about it the more it make sense. I can install a DVD/LCD combo 1/2 DIN unit like the Blaupunkt unit below. I would only need to hook up 12volt power to it then route it's AUDIO AUX OUT to the Eclipse AUX IN. ALl the other superflous stuff (internal amp, AM/FM, etc) in the Blaupunkt would be unsused in favor of the Eclipse.

BLAIVDM7002_1.jpg

BLAIVDM7002_7.jpg

ICON makes a super clear 7" motorized LCD, without a brain or anything similar. It is the DV-7.
Thanks for the tip. I couldn't find the Icon DV-7 online (at least on their website) but will continue to search.

I kinda of did something like that.. I have a avic-d1 and a alpine 9855.. I use the avic for nav only and have a dvd play in the glove box video goes to the avic audio goes to the 9855 through a alpine switch.. I ran the speaker outs of the avic to two dsh speakers for the nav voice.. I just cant figure out how to mute the alpine when the nav speaks..

Look into how many volts it takes for the alpine to mute from the cell phone mute wire. You may be able to run a cheap inverter off the navs speaker wire preamped to 12 volts or what ever it requires. If the line is sensitive enough, it may even mute directly off the speaker wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.