horns

Savstyle
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Fresno
ok so im loooking for horns ive wanted to try and install some for awhile. but i dont really know to much about them, or what companys make them. i knwo im nto givin much information of what i want but i pretty much know nothing. ive serched google but the results were kinda bland didnt get to in depth. so anyone with horn eperience please chime in and gimme some info ie: companies that make them, where to buy them. any opinion is welcome. thanks in advance

companies that make them,
Image Dynamics (http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com ) - Probably the "most popular" HLCD company

USD Audio (http://www.usdaudio.com ) - Fairly expensive but great HLCD's

Crossfire (http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com ) - I don't know much about them, and not many people run them.

Illusion Audio (http://www.illusionaudio.com ) - Currently out of production, supposed to be in production by end of year as far as I know

Veritas - Not currently in production either as far as I know

where to buy them.
http://www.sounddomain.com - Only authorized internet dealer for Image Dynamics

Your local authorized dealer

For USD/Illusion, you can try directly from the company (not sure if USD does....but Illusion is supposed to be until they get a dealer network built back up)

Used on ebay/for sale forums

any opinion is welcome.
I have the Illusion CH1 horns and absolutely love them to death. Image Dynamics seems to be the most used that I know of because they are affordable and are great sounding. USD is sort of the "Cadillac" of horns. Expensive and not as many people run them. The Crossfire's I know nothing about.

Illusion and Veritas both use metal horn bodies....which can be a little trickier to work with than the others.

Don't believe so. There are still a few people using those HLCD's though....such as Joe Black, who competes in Meca.

Oh...and forgot to mention; Don't forget that you'll need some pretty stout midbass's in a good install to keep up with horns. Along with the ability to apply heavy EQ'ing to the horns.

not for sure if it will work, or be cheap,

but couldn't a person just build their own horns from partsexpress.com?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

not for sure if it will work, or be cheap,

but couldn't a person just build their own horns from partsexpress.com?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Compression drivers? Yes.

Horn Bodies? No.

Those horn bodies (lenses) that they sell at parts express will not work in a vehicle...unless you want to totally rebuild your entire dash/interior to make them stage/image correctly (most of the benefit of horns). There is a reason car audio horns are flared towards the middle of the vehicle //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif They are designed to direct most of their energy towards the opposite listener due to the narrow confines of a vehicle. Without this, they'd stage and image like crap..........

welp, that's why i didn't know if it would work..lol..

and there u have...the rest...of the story..

what if i made a mould of my horn body...

and then sold them (but they will be fiberglass)

mauahhahah!!!

... but you can buy new hornbodies directly from imagedynamics for like $100. just scoop some compression drivers from partsexpress and pop the id hornbody on there.

wouldnt that work?

well. i know my image dynamics comp2's sound awesome. i wish my crossover was still working. gotta ship it back to crossfire and get a new one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Don't believe so. There are still a few people using those HLCD's though....such as Joe Black, who competes in Meca.

Oh...and forgot to mention; Don't forget that you'll need some pretty stout midbass's in a good install to keep up with horns. Along with the ability to apply heavy EQ'ing to the horns.
yeah thats seems to be the most spoken thing ive learned. but i plan on building this system up very slowly. and by very slowly i mean very slowly.since horns are so expensive, im guesssing the midbass would also be up there?

when you install horns is there any other place to mount them besides under the dash? or is that the only logical plae since there so big?

yeah thats seems to be the most spoken thing ive learned. but i plan on building this system up very slowly. and by very slowly i mean very slowly.since horns are so expensive, im guesssing the midbass would also be up there?
Up there in price? Not necessarily. You can find some good mids (or subs that will function well as midbass) that will work with horns for ~$200/pr or less. Just depends on how extravagent you want to get.

when you install horns is there any other place to mount them besides under the dash? or is that the only logical plae since there so big?
Well, if you want to be like Mark Eldridge, you can mount them parallel to the windshield (where the windshield and top of the dash are "extensions" of the horn body).....but IIRC it took him a shitload of man-hours and ~6 months to a year to get it to work out right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Other than that.....yes, under the dash is the only place. But the reasons are other than just it's size. Has to do with the dispersion pattern of the horn body, and the fact that you do not want to be on-axis with a horn.

what if i made a mould of my horn body...

and then sold them (but they will be fiberglass)

mauahhahah!!!
Then you would be in violation of a few patent and intellectual property laws //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

... but you can buy new hornbodies directly from imagedynamics for like $100. just scoop some compression drivers from partsexpress and pop the id hornbody on there.
wouldnt that work?
Yup. My Illusion compression drivers are just Radian 450PB's, which I think are around $130 each on PE. I believe the ID CD2 neo motors are based off of the B&C neo motors that you can find on PE.

are these any good? i serched for the brand sqeak gave me and soundomain are the only one i found that had them.http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSCD1PRO

or is it worth saving more money for these?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSCD2COMP

thanks in advance
Both of those are very good.

Do a search on ECA (http://www.elitecaraudio.com ) about the differences between the CD1Pro's and CD2 Comp's, as I can never remember //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

IIRC, the CD1Pro's have better top end extension and the CD2Comp's have smoother, better sounding midrange. But don't quote me on that.

i can attest to the smoothness of the comp2's

mine are so smooth, sounds nothing like a metal dome tweeter ive ever heard.

maybe ill email id and ask how much fullbody lenses cost direct from them....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.