Port Distance From Side and Bottom

Decado
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey, i did try //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search.gif.e79a63b2b580b39b282dff402646b704.gif before typing this but didnt find anything. For a tube port, how much distance do i need from the side and the bottom, it is a 4" port and 10.25" long.

So it doesnt have to be any certain distance from the side wall and bottom wall? Or can it be flush against it?
If it was flush against it that would nearly completely defeat the purpose of the port. It depends on the size of it, but I would say 2-4 inches.

lol i dont have it planned out yet, i just wanna know how to brace the port now, unless i just glue the port into the hole and just leave it there.

Ok thanks. I have a few more things to ask you guys.

1. When i cut the hole's should i use a jigsaw? Or should i use the plunge router/circle jig combo? I know the plunge router/circle jig is more accurate but alot more expensive, will just carefully cutting with a jigsaw work out fine?

2. Should i glue the boards together before putting the screws in or just screw them together then seal it inside?

3. What kind of caulk should i use to seal the inside? Window caulk? And what brand is a good brand to use?

1. Jigsaw will work fine if you work slowly and draw a perfect circle to begin with.

2. Common practice is to put the pieces on piece by piece. First, predrill two holes on the two ends of the wood that you are putting together. Immediately drop screws into these two holes (No glue). Then predrill as many holes as you would like between these two screws. Then remove these two screws, and then put them back in so you have like 1/2" between the two pieces that you are putting together. Put lots of glue inbetween the two pieces of wood, and then screw every screw down.

3. 100% silicone caulk from brand GE at your local hardware store.

107718_3.jpg

$5/tube, for Tub and Tile.

Thx, and to get the cutting on the jigsaw started, do i just drill a big hole or what?
Drilling a hole would be good. But...

Some jigsaws you can gay into making the bit fall right into place. Start by holding the jigsaw so the teeth face down, and put the feet of the jigsaw in the center of the circle. then turn the jigsaw on and rotate the jigsaw so the teeth begin cutting into the wood.

GL HF!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.