Is plywood good.

If you would like it to fall apart, it is a great idea. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

Plywood will flex under pressure, go with the .75" MDF or if your lumber yard doesnt carry it use High Density Particle Board

No, lumberyards are completely against screws and glue. They feel it's harmful and heartless to ever harm the wood with glue and screws. I highly doubt they would carry products like that.

Lot of wacky info in this thread.

True void-free, cabinet grade 3/4" ply is excellent material for speaker enclosures. However, at $45 a sheet it's more than double what MDF costs. So it's a value question, not a structural one. But if you properly brace the enclosure, baltic birch or similar furniture grade plywood is primo stuff - if you afford the price tag.

True void-free, cabinet grade 3/4" ply is excellent material for speaker enclosures. However, at $45 a sheet it's more than double what MDF costs. So it's a value question, not a structural one. But if you properly brace the enclosure, baltic birch or similar furniture grade plywood is primo stuff - if you afford the price tag.
Agreed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

However, you'll find the majority of perfectly acceptable quality enclosures are built out of MDF. Dollar for dollar it makes a much better box than comparably priced plywood. Can you use normal, everyday CDX-grade ply? Yep. You sure can. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Would that $15~$18/sheet be better applied buying MDF? Yep. Sure would. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Lot of wacky info in this thread.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

alright, well my grandpa is helping me with the project, he is more experienced with wood working. He told me 1/4-1/2 inch plywood (most likely ill be getting 1/2), finished on both sides. and to get 6 two-by-twos that are 6 or 8 feet long to brace the box.. and of course, wood glue and screws... Im not really sure on what he plans on doing with the two-by-twos. SO you guys think I will be safe?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.