Sign in to follow this  
vosschs

ok so i have a 97 GTP, I NEED SPEAKERS

i have a 97 grand prix and the speakers suck, i want a 5 1/4 set of comps, around 100 or so, maybe cheaper who knows, im wondering what kind i want, i want to run them off a head unit, i dont want an extra amp if i have too, is it possible? if so what are my best choices, heres what im looking at now

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=alpspr136a&store=&catid=355

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=4514

and maybe these

http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=329&language=1

i really like the look of the type Rs and i heard there good, but also heard the infinity ones are good, the 5 1/4s will be open (no grill in front )

REFS: 02Corvette, skadude016, Flakko, Karleon, SPL140.2, Req, Jazn, Acidburn, Fastwake, Jester7500, robbyboy32, Mr loki x 3 THUMBSDOWN , puppie chow, bimma85, projectpat06, diminishedpower, seth350, kngofthepnglot, mattmcss, termlab, mindless, zachzchw , guy022077, shakura 98.5% ebay and theres a few i forgot

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

cmon guys help me out, i dont know much about comp sets

REFS: 02Corvette, skadude016, Flakko, Karleon, SPL140.2, Req, Jazn, Acidburn, Fastwake, Jester7500, robbyboy32, Mr loki x 3 THUMBSDOWN , puppie chow, bimma85, projectpat06, diminishedpower, seth350, kngofthepnglot, mattmcss, termlab, mindless, zachzchw , guy022077, shakura 98.5% ebay and theres a few i forgot

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

I wouldn't bother with comps if you're going to power them via the HU. The HU won't do them justice.

I wouldn't bother with comps if you're going to power them via the HU. The HU won't do them justice.

You never know until you try it, he might like it he maybe wont like it.

I say you try it first, i would get the Type R's and see if you like them ran of the HU if not get an amp.

References

btnhfan,bossman032(x2),GoldenKnob, flakko(x2),birdman70,Raisedin305,MatthewR6,blue_thunder,C5(termpro),dbubble,toaster,

djdilliodon,MoeLester[/font][/size]

CDT Ka-61 6.5" comp set all new intented for the budget user $100.

aim djdilliodon...

IA FTW!!!

Team Sundown... what?

I have a '98 GrandPrix GTP, and stock headunit goes to a 6 channel amp...

in the front its 5 1/4 comps

in the rear it has 3 1/2's and 6x9's

also in the rear it it has a high and low wires, so for coxials you have to do some modding for correct sound staging....

so if ur using the stock hu ur getting ~ 65 wrms up fornt ~50 and ~25 in the back

1997 Ford Ranger Bagged on 18's

Alpine 7878 - HU

ID OEM 64's Vifa xt25's

TC 10- Sub

MBQ 4200 - F.Amp

MBQ 2400 S.Amp

i think ill try the type R 5 1/4s then,

slain you say the stock HU puts 65 wrms to the front, those R's are 40wrms, would i be able to hook them up to the stock head unit?

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

You never know until you try it, he might like it he maybe wont like it.

I say you try it first, i would get the Type R's and see if you like them ran of the HU if not get an amp.

Fair enough!

so i wonder if i can just hook the comps to the stock HU

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

im doin the same thing, just running my comps off my headunit with no amp for them. Im sure they will sound good with no amp, but then again what do i know.

--System--

car: SILVER 2OO4 SUBARU WRX......:veryhapp:

Headunit: Alpine CDA-9830

Speakers:Rainbow Dreamline 6.5 comps

Sub Amp: Hifonics bx1500

Sub: RE XXX 12''...BEAST!!!

Sub box: 2.103ft^3 tuned to 28.75hz

Battery: 12v optima redtop 800

FINALLY GETTING BASS ON MONDAY!!!:crazy:

hoodscoop2rb.th.jpg

slain you say the stock HU puts 65 wrms to the front, those R's are 40wrms, would i be able to hook them up to the stock head unit?

Type R comps can only handle 40 wRMS?? I thought it was at least double that.

Bought From:

Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT

Sold to:

Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)

Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

Type R comps can only handle 40 wRMS?? I thought it was at least double that.

its like 40 wrms 140 max,

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

its like 40 wrms 140 max,

jeez that sounds kind of low :crap:

Bought From:

Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT

Sold to:

Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)

Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

o well, now i just need to know if i can just hook it up to the stock HU anyone?

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

ofcourse you can just hook them up

just hook the speaker wire going to the speakers now to the crossover and wire it all up.

~Magick_Man~

Eclipse CD7200MKii - Memphis "Big" Belle - AudioControl DQS/DDC

HAT L1V2 Tweeters - Focal Utopia 7W2 Mids

DIYMA R12 x 2

References:

CA.com: the cybe, loserpunk, mega1268, JAZN, Digital Mint, B_Campbell, Pickup1,

ndnbolla, jiggy2dmax, Carchrism5, JNTAR, SWEET06CAMRY, NoLimit, Mikeyboc,

10W3dodge96, Megalomaniac, Buffalohed, Bigbirney420, Chubby, Nbudros, JrVtecAccord, flipside1212

Icix: hificarguy, 2ndgen, Scout62, Infinity, Jet-Xino, Qalien, Hessdawg, CMILLET60

DIYMA: SQ_Baru, danssoslow, Minivanman, Cheesehead, Starboy869, JoeHemi57, LESS

style1,-wel-Magick-unl-Man-wel-.png

ofcourse you can just hook them up

just hook the speaker wire going to the speakers now to the crossover and wire it all up.

~Magick_Man~

thats what i was looking for, i thought that was it now i know for sure, once i get it all in (3 weeks or so) ill find out how to wire the xovers, ive never messed with comp sets, after all ive owned in CA never comps,

try try try to understand your the magick man!

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5790339202&category=32818&rd=1

hmm i saw those, what about those?

it says on board cross over, whats that mean, like i said i know shit of comps

asdf1xz.jpg

THE BULLS ARE BACK

im not sure on how much power the stock system has but its byfar more than most cars... also the car is well sound drended, so any 3rd party comps you decide to buy will sound amazing its just going to depend how how much you want to spend.

another aspect of the stock stero is that the fader removes bass and makes the front and rear sound aweful when adjusted. so when installing have all the speakers running and not just faded to the front.

as while i upgraded to better speakers, they were more efficent and when i pop a cd in its much much louder so becareful also

1997 Ford Ranger Bagged on 18's

Alpine 7878 - HU

ID OEM 64's Vifa xt25's

TC 10- Sub

MBQ 4200 - F.Amp

MBQ 2400 S.Amp

i think ill try the type R 5 1/4s then,

No way in hell your stock HU is putting out 65 wrms, you would be lucky if your stock HU put out 10 watts RMS. Stock HU's have the WORST rating system, and it is always in peak power.

I would not hook up comps to HU power let alone stock HU power. My Iridiums seem efficient enough to sound good off the HU (not stock though)! But I can't wait to see what they do once I get my amp hooked up!

I would suggest you just order your amp now so you don't have to wait.

Truck:

Nissan Titan KC

HU:

Eclipse CD7200 MKII HU

Speakers:

DLS Iridium 6.2 Front Stage

TC1000's,

AMps:

Arc Audio XXK 2100 for fronts, Diamond Audio D5 1200.1

Other:

Knukonceptz 0 & 4ga and all Speaker wire and Streetwires 0 ga Power/Ground Distro Block, 4.5 rolls 60 mil RAAMAT and Ensolite foam througbhout, Kintetik HC2000 The Big 3 + 0ga Gounding Kit.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this