feck!!!!!!! ported xxx15 help

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
ooookkkkkkk....well after all the blood and sweat of building our first ported box....there is ISSUSES......

http://img162.echo.cx/img162/7190/xxx15box9sy.jpg

we didnt realize until we were about to cut thewood that the piece that goes directly behind the xxx was only 12'' and i think this design was for a xxx12.......

we extended the piece behind the xxx to 15 inches and ironicly everything else on the designs matched up (that piece being 12'' from wall as shown on diagram after makeing it longer)...

WELL the dust cap F'd up and came off but the voice coils were fine on the sub so i am thinking that for some reason this box is too big. talked to RE and they dont recommend anything bigger than 6cubs for ported xxx15.

i have not calculated the internal volume but the gross volume is like 9cub...freakign HUGE

So this is what im thinking....calculate the internal volume to see what ima at, then add the right volume of polyfill (figure out a way to get it to stay in there) to make the volume 4 or 4.5 cubs.....

i WOULD just build another box but this car is gonna die soon and i'll get a design for that car when time comes. and we've put so much effort into this box that it wont be worth it to throw it away and build ANOTHER box that i'll only use for 6 moths or so and may not fir in the new car......can i just jimmy rig figit fix this box for the next 6 months of use???? i think i should just do this and not run the sub too hard.....

or is this a bad idea....

Looks like 4.57ft^3 tuned around 35-36hz. I rounded all your retarded cuts of 5/8ths to .75

Makes it a bit more easy to calculate.

Nothing wrong with that box size or tunning. So the problem was not the box unless the build was poor IE: not sealed, no bracing...

for the record i did NOT design this...got it from the previous owner of the xxx i bough used.............and its not exactually a great design by far.....in fact it was a pain in the ass makeing it (also cutting out back seats and part of the frame to fit it and make a good baffle.....

ANYWAYS....yes i would just make another box but im getting a new car soon and there's a good chance it'll be a much smaller car.....so for now i just wanna rig and fix this one.....

i went out and measured it and it total 39x20.25x18high.....the extended piece is 17x16.5high..(not 15 like i thought)..... also of course 3/4MDF board was used..... there's too much time and effort put into this box to throw it away and and waste money on ANOTHER box that'll be used for not very long.....i'm way to strung out right now to calculate the internal volume after displacement with those new clalculations....

you can thank AddictiontoBass's friends for this design...... it sounded great until the dustcap went awol.... so would a lil poly fill to ake up some volume inside still work as an option or should i just mount it again and play with it..... i cant build a new box until i get a new car.....gotta save up moneyright now (exept for the touchscreen deck im getting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif )

box was sealed fine but bracing was an issue....we drilld a bunch more screws in where it was flexing the most and it seemed to have fixed the problem there....but keep in mind this is a GHHEETTOOOO box.......next box will be done RIGHT from the begining...but for now i must save this mutt...... and perhaps the dustcap was just a bad recone....RE did cover it under its recone warranty (for a total of 2 recones) (very nice and understanding guys at RE)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.