First Box: Need Help w/ Dimensions

SSS 18734
5,000+ posts

Dollar Menu Millionaire
I don't have a box-building program, so I have made the following plans by hand for my 12" Pioneer 2000SPL's.

Pioneer Recommends a 1.75 cu.ft. box for each sub including the speaker and port. I will be building a dual divided box. Both ports are 4" in diameter and 6.5" long. I will be using 3/4" MDF.

I have figured the interior specs of each chamber to be:

Width: 15"

Depth: 18"

Height: 11.2"

That will get me exactly 1.75 cu.ft.

My whole box, with the subs and port facing upwards will have the following dimensions externally, with an internal divider made of 3/4" MDF.

Width: 32.25"

Depth: 19.5"

Height: 12.7"

Sorry for the lack of any diagrams. Can someone plug this into their box-building program and double-check that I will get the proper airspace for each sub?

ok cool. I guess math class was useful for something after all.

Now I need to go get some wood. If I slipped the guy who cuts stuff at home depot a few bucks, do you think he can cut it precisely?

Allright well now that I have my dimensions correct, can someone direct me to a good box building tutorial? I need a list of all the materials I will need as well as good instructions.

dont try to bribe him into doing quality work, it'll probably jsut insult him by saying he does a half-assed job

start talking to him a lot, get all friendly and stuff, then he will cut it good, but their cutting thing itself isnt too accurate but I didnt have any problems with home depot cuts.

materials:

- MDF

- quality wood glue

- drywall screws

- screwdriver

- drill

- drillbit just very slightly smaller than the screws

- a friend to help

- camera to take pics with

If i used screws I would use 1 1/2" screws gives you 3/4" on each piece( I use 1 1/2" brads in my nailgun), but predrill the holes with a bit just a hair smaller than the diameter of your screws so you dont fuxor your mdf.

yea, thats a really good point.

make sure the predrilled holes are just slightly smaller than the screws.

if its too much smaller, it could split the MDF.

and the screws are only there to hold the box together until the glue dries.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.