Zapco & Image Dynamics... Are they still their own companies

chazzy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Florida
When I try to research these guys, I can only find like 3 mentions that aren't 10+ yrs old. About 10 years ago, I had an ID sub and Zap amp cause that's what I deemed the best for the buck (SQ mainly). Are they still good? Zapco seems to have left the US and both just has no presence on the forums or anywhere else.

My application is in an old, loud diesel... so lower freqs will be cranked up and I don't want it all distorty. Going to start with a new HU and door speakers, then decide if amp and/or sub is required.

I think ID is owned by Powerbass. I believe the same person that builds the subs is still doing it not sure about all the other stuff.
I think that's something I read about their amps. Is it a brag to be owned by power bass? I imagine it's not cause it's not on their site. Any idea when that purchase happened?

ID is a subsidiary of Powerbass they like to keep the two brands separate. Early 2000’s when it happened. Five Star car stereo from Florida had a representative from Powerbass on I think last year or the year before and they talked a little bit about ID. They supposedly we’re working on some shallow subs but never came to be. It still says coming soon on the website.

ID is a subsidiary of Powerbass they like to keep the two brands separate. Early 2000’s when it happened. Five Star car stereo from Florida had a representative from Powerbass on I think last year or the year before and they talked a little bit about ID. They supposedly we’re working on some shallow subs but never came to be. It still says coming soon on the website.
Excellent! It sounds like notheing has changed since I last deemed them my favorite sub brand. The design sure hasn't which could be good or bad. I'll give their coax speakers a try.

Powerbass acquired ID via a hostile takeover - forcing Eric Stevens out. That said, it doesn't look like the subs or comps have changed since then. I don't know if the build quality/house has changed, but ID still looks like a solid company.

Powerbass acquired ID via a hostile takeover - forcing Eric Stevens out. That said, it doesn't look like the subs or comps have changed since then. I don't know if the build quality/house has changed, but ID still looks like a solid company.

Is he the Stephen's from Stephen's audio that makes great midbass speakers?

I have no clue who Eric Stevens is, but it sounds like i should. Can you give the cliffnotes for the ID history?

Founded ID. There was another guy involved with ID early on but can't remember his name. Eric's big claim to fame is the awesome car audio horns he made. Most SQ heads consider his horns to be the best of the best. I had a pair and they were awesome. Perfect imaging and they only required 25w/side to get rip your head off loud.

Eventually somehow ID got in bed with Powerbass and Eric ended up losing control of the company and went off on his own. He was able to keep his horn designs, so ID no longer makes horns. The guys on DIYMA would have a more info if you want it.

I may get a pair of his 6" woofers for the back. It's an extended cab pickup so the enclosure won't be as bad as a door with holes in it. Highs are really not important back there, I may get some aditional thump-a-lump, and I get to support him.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...