Xcab truck box - single 10"

Participant count
  • Participant list

Simon96Taco

Canada
Here goes - I'm sitting on a new Pioneer 10" IMPP W254C (low end, but decent from what I've heard) and an Alpine MRV-F300 V12 amp to power it. The specs for the sub that I have been using in WinISD are here

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Files/ts-w254c_spec_20011241029364900.pdf

I don't know too much about the amp, but i've heard it hooked up to a 12" JL and it seemed to provide enough power.

I'd like to install the sub in my 1996 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab, somewhere in the back 2 jump seats area. My main goal is sound quality, spl is secondary. I like tight, deep bass.

Apparently this sub is suited for both sealed or ported, but I've been told that ported will give me a little better efficiency. I understand that sealed boxes tend to be more forgiving and easier to build, but will I be missing out on a great deal of sound quality or deep bass response by going sealed? If anyone more experienced has ever experimented with this Pioneer sub or feels like throwing the numbers into WinISD, your feedback would be very much appreciated.

Also, if I decide to go with a ported box, I need to decide where to face the sub and ports. Should I put both the sub and the port on one face, and face them backwards towards the rear wall of the truck? How much airspace away from that wall would they need? Is one inch enough, or am I dreaming?

Or should I put the sub facing backwards, and the port facing up. Or sub firing down (into the seat) and port facing backwards? There are many possibilites, and I have no idea which would sound best

I'd love to hear any advice to help me get started, I can't wait to put it in my truck!

I think a sealed box would be right for you...considering you said that SQ comes first over SPL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Placement of the box depends, try the box in various locations, and let it fire in different directions - whichever way sounds good to you is the jem;)

Where in Canada are you?

- Steve

Yes, at first I had planned on a sealed enclosure, but then someone on another forum mentioned that the ported box would be more efficient and would require less power to run it cleanly.

I just wish there was a simple yes or no answer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Right now I'm living in Lethbridge, AB, about 2 hours south of Calgary. You?

Originally posted by Simon96Taco Yes, at first I had planned on a sealed enclosure, but then someone on another forum mentioned that the ported box would be more efficient and would require less power to run it cleanly.

I just wish there was a simple yes or no answer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Right now I'm living in Lethbridge, AB, about 2 hours south of Calgary. You?

I'm next door in BC - in the Kootaney's.

A sealed box will give you more sound quality, but you loose a few db's...

A ported box will give you more SPL, but you will loose a few SQ points.

- Steve

Hmm....ok ....that's what I sort of thought at first.

Is that the case with any/all subwoofers? Or does it depend on the driver?

Last question - when deciding to go ahead an build the box, should I go with the recommended sizes that WinISD gives me, or should I go with the manufacturer's (Pioneer) recommendations? They are quite different.

For example:

The Pioneer spec page for this sub recommends 0.9ft^3 with a 3x13 port

WinISD Pro recommends 2.2ft^3 with a 4x20 port.

For sealed, Pioneer recommends 0.8ft^3

WinISD Pro recommends 1.07ft^3

Why are they SO different? especially the ported enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.