Worth the upgrade from single JL 10w3v3 to dual SD X8v2?

kmu
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ive been debating for a long time on which 8" set up to go with to upgrade from my JL 10w3v3 set up, need some suggestions if its worth it and if Im going to notice any difference in output.

Current system: 750 rms to a single JL 10w3v3 in a JL ported box (seems on the small side, don't know what its tuned to)

Upgrade to: 1,350 rms to a dual Sundown Audio x8v2 (ported tuned low and I can go as big as needed to get the best output possible)

Would I notice any low end improvement specially in the 30 hz to 40 hz area? how would the sound quality be with the sundowns compared to the JL?

Im looking for a much better output in the low frequency area while still maintaining the wow factor by using small diameter subs.

THX

What vehicle and what amp? There should be an increase since you are doubling power and increasing cone area by 20%.
Honestly I would just run a single 12 instead of the 8s.
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015

amps are NVX 750.1 and NVX 1200.1

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015
amps are NVX 750.1 and NVX 1200.1
The sundown 8s are not very efficient and will be lucky to get 1/3 to 1/2 their rated power after impedance rise. They are very stiff and have a high free air resonance. I would look at something with a lower fs, lighter weight moving mass and a softer more compliant suspension that doesn't need a lot of power to reach its full potential.

Ive been debating for a long time on which 8" set up to go with to upgrade from my JL 10w3v3 set up, need some suggestions if its worth it and if Im going to notice any difference in output.
Current system: 750 rms to a single JL 10w3v3 in a JL ported box (seems on the small side, don't know what its tuned to)

Upgrade to: 1,350 rms to a dual Sundown Audio x8v2 (ported tuned low and I can go as big as needed to get the best output possible)

Would I notice any low end improvement specially in the 30 hz to 40 hz area? how would the sound quality be with the sundowns compared to the JL?

Im looking for a much better output in the low frequency area while still maintaining the wow factor by using small diameter subs.

THX
If setup right it should be very impressive

The sundown 8s are not very efficient and will be lucky to get 1/3 to 1/2 their rated power after impedance rise. They are very stiff and have a high free air resonance. I would look at something with a lower fs, lighter weight moving mass and a softer more compliant suspension that doesn't need a lot of power to reach its full potential.
One of my local dealers is giving me a good price on 4 JL 8w3v3s, but wanted to look for something different, those should work good on 1,350 watts rms

by set up right you men with a good designed box? any suggestions?
i take it u trying for small box? cause if u have room 1 12 sa or other similar sub like mine even with a 2-2.5cf ad box on the bigger amp would solve deeper bass problem real fast and be cheaper and louder than jl's

i take it u trying for small box? cause if u have room 1 12 sa or other similar sub like mine even with a 2-2.5cf ad box on the bigger amp would solve deeper bass problem real fast and be cheaper and louder than jl's
The box can be up to 4 cf gross, the reason I was leaning into 8" woofers was just because it would fit just right (height wise for the box) and wanted to do 8" subs...

One of my local dealers is giving me a good price on 4 JL 8w3v3s, but wanted to look for something different, those should work good on 1,350 watts rms
Whatever subs you choose to run they won't be getting 1350rms, it will be more like ~600watts because impedance rise fluctuates but is usually around 3-4x what the nominal is. The 8w3's are more efficient and have a lower fs, I would take those over the X8's if lows are concerned. 4 8's are roughly 14% more cone area than a single 15.

The box can be up to 4 cf gross, the reason I was leaning into 8" woofers was just because it would fit just right (height wise for the box) and wanted to do 8" subs...
if u like 8's do that but i wouldn't do the x like he just said after rise u get like 1/2 power u send to subs.. so get something more efficient don't have to be jl.. look at sa or even the e other companies too but well 1 12 is pretty easy to do (and to fit in your suv) and would be pretty loud at 1200+ in 2.5cf ad box (again maybe not something so "heavy" it needs 2k) u should hear my fu on 900rms in 2.1cfad.. if u could do a 15 3.5cfad the bigger amp i'm sure u would be be happy with the lows..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.