With 4-Channel Amp Connected, Does The HU Still Try To Put Out It's Own Power?

WarDrumz
10+ year member

Hebrew Israelite
Hi peoplez,

Gotta question here.

I am about to get a 4-channel amp to run my in-car speakers...

When my amp is connected, will my HU still try to put out it's 22wrms x4?

I'm wanting to know bcuz I don't want my electrical system to have to provide any unnecessary amperes.

I figure if my HU doesn't try to put out it's own power, then adding a 4-channel amp rated at about 50wrms x4 won't be asking too much more than the HU itself was. Bcuz I won't have it all the way up anyway. But if it's just the opposite, then 50wrms x4 + 22wrms x4 might be a problem, as I already have a Hifonics 1500D connected (not at full power though).

Please let me know,

Thanx

yes it does...don't you see guys who run components & subs off an amp, but have rear fill run off the HU

The amp doesn't "short-circuit" the signal the HU puts out.

However, with no speakers connected to the HU's speaker outputs, there is infinite resistance...aka...no current flow.

yes it does...don't you see guys who run components & subs off an amp, but have rear fill run off the HU
The amp doesn't "short-circuit" the signal the HU puts out.

However, with no speakers connected to the HU's speaker outputs, there is infinite resistance...aka...no current flow.
just adding to this comment....make sure you terminate the ends of the HU speaker wires so that you minimize the risk of grounding out a speaker positive to something under the dash.

diplexers

sumone

dbhittin....

I thank you guyz very much.

So...with no wires connected to the HU's speaker terminals, there were be no power coming from it, meaning no HU current draw from my electrical system? Right?

Think of it as a lamp in your room. If you plug the lamp in and switch it on... but there is no lightbulb, would it use elctricity? no... same with the internal amp

i belive there still will be some current draw, just to turn the hu on and preamp..

Think of it as a lamp in your room. If you plug the lamp in and switch it on... but there is no lightbulb, would it use elctricity? no... same with the internal amp
i belive there still will be some current draw, just to turn the hu on and preamp..
Ok, thanx.

just adding to this comment....make sure you terminate the ends of the HU speaker wires so that you minimize the risk of grounding out a speaker positive to something under the dash.
Yes make sure you do this as to prevent the h/u's internal amp leads from grounding to the chassis. This WILL fry the h/u's internal amps instantly unless your lucky and the radio's fuse protects it in time.

Yes make sure you do this as to prevent the h/u's internal amp leads from grounding to the chassis. This WILL fry the h/u's internal amps instantly unless your lucky and the radio's fuse protects it in time.
Thanx man.

I like the one idea about using an amp to power some components, and then use the rear channels of the HU to power the rear-fill.

I'm thinking of getting a Hifonics 50wrms x4 amp to run a pair of Infinity CMMD 1" tweeters and a pair of 63.5i's...and then have the two rear channels of my HU power my 693.5i's with 22wrms each in the rear deck to add to the ambience.

I'm wanting a litle more sound in front, and more midbass....

Sound ok?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.