wiring a multiple cooling fans

Participant count
  • Participants list

watcher6342

CarAudio.com Regular
i need to make a box to cool my amp. i have zero experience with this kind of stuff and really need some help. i want to make a box with 4 120 mm computer fans(12v), and possibly 2 more to push cold air from cab of my car into trunk of my car. my question is. would i connect all red wires together and add them to the remote wire going into my amp and then connect all black wires together and have them going to computer ground? ive watched a few vids but all the ones with multi fan configuration dont show how exactly its wired together. any help would be appreciated. thanks

get a 12 volt higher amp relay. One wire will go to remote, one to power and one to ground on your amp or distribution block. The relay will trigger with the remote turn on and use the power wire to actually power the fans. You can find a wiring diagram on google to use for wiring it correctly.

Well... are these 120mm 12v computer fans 2 or 3 wire? You can use a fan controller in a car as well. It's still a 12v environment. Most computer fan headers are near 1 amp. Use a fan controller brother and wire it to your power source that is on with the ignition.

Well... are these 120mm 12v computer fans 2 or 3 wire? You can use a fan controller in a car as well. It's still a 12v environment. Most computer fan headers are near 1 amp. Use a fan controller brother and wire it to your power source that is on with the ignition.
120 mm 2 wire fans, i ordered 4 of them. they have a 2 pin connector. i saw a video on youtube where they just snipped the pin connector off. i thought maybe i could wire all the hot wires together and then all the ground wires together and connect them that way. glad i came here first. electricity and i have an understanding, i leave it alone and it wont sit me on my ass again. lol.

Yes you can wire them all together, but definitely need to use a relay. You can use the remote wire to activate the circuit but definitely use a separate 12v source. If you have multiple amps it's a good idea to use a relay for the remote as well. HU output on the remote circuit is usually around .5 amps.

I like to use a 40 amp relay myself. Cheap at the Auto stores. Save you a headache later on. You can always run your own supply source for the fans only with a relay and a toggle switch to turn on or off as well and get creative if running a large system. I like 105 plus CFM fans myself. Any air circulation is a plus. Id raise the amp/amps with some grommets or 4-6 washers at the feet mounts on the amps to raise them off the flat mounting surface to get some air circulation under them also. HEAT Kills an amplifier

i have a small setup right now. i only have the soundstream reserve 4500-d amp, with 2 6.5 front speakers and 2 6x9 rear speakers. factory hu with locs for front , rear and another tapped into the rear speakers for subs( 2 10 inch kickers in ported kicker box) . i have amp up on turntable feet plus a rubber grommet for cushion, it gives me about 2 inches of rise for amp. i am looking to buy a boss hu for my sentra this week. maybe that will give me more punch. also want to start on false floor in trunk. im gonna put amp under the sub box. that is where i want to run the 4 fans( build a box for the amp with 2 pushing and 2 pulling) then set the sub box on it. then a beauty panel in front of it with some mesh to protect the subs. ive watched some videos and it doesnt seem too hard but im sure its gonna take up a lot of time having to do everything else for the house with only the weekend and rain.

i have a small setup right now. i only have the soundstream reserve 4500-d amp, with 2 6.5 front speakers and 2 6x9 rear speakers. factory hu with locs for front , rear and another tapped into the rear speakers for subs( 2 10 inch kickers in ported kicker box) . i have amp up on turntable feet plus a rubber grommet for cushion, it gives me about 2 inches of rise for amp. i am looking to buy a boss hu for my sentra this week. maybe that will give me more punch. also want to start on false floor in trunk. im gonna put amp under the sub box. that is where i want to run the 4 fans( build a box for the amp with 2 pushing and 2 pulling) then set the sub box on it. then a beauty panel in front of it with some mesh to protect the subs. ive watched some videos and it doesnt seem too hard but im sure its gonna take up a lot of time having to do everything else for the house with only the weekend and rain.
i was also wondering about how to mount the false floor to trunk. i am gong to put thermal block down for sound and temp on floor of trunk and use 2x4's for the base and then put 1/2 inch plywood over it. do you know if i should mount it with screws or is there some type of bonding agent that would hold it down or maybe let it float and let the cuts of the plywood on the sides be enough to keep it in place.

You don't necessarily need a relay. You could just wire them to a switched 12v+ power source and the fans would come on when you started the car.
i dont mind them running when the car is on, i just want it to keep steady air on it while the amp is running. eventually i will add 2 8's along with the 10's so i have more midrange from the rear. i dont need to be the loudest, i like it to sound good with a solid hit. i cant really hear the 6x9's, but i want to hear some mids without it running through the subs

You definitely need to use a relay. You will blow your remote wire in your head unit for sure trying to power fans with it.
When i was young and dumber, i powered a single 12v fan off my remote wire. That was on a 2000ish Eclipse deck. Any idea how much current remote wires can handle?

When i was young and dumber, i powered a single 12v fan off my remote wire. That was on a 2000ish Eclipse deck. Any idea how much current remote wires can handle?
3 or 4 amps probably. I burned mine running lights directly off my remote wire on my first box build. i was literally thinking “I’m gonna make it bright as fvck in there”.….then I fried my remote turn on in 4 seconds. I would troll my own self for that genius move.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...