Wiring 2 4ohm Dvc subs in seperate boxes to 4ohms.

What amplifier are you using? Brand and Model #
I’m running an Alpine Pdr-m65 with a true rms of I think 725 it stated on the card in the box. Keep in mind I used a Scosche $30 line out converter tapped into just the rear right side speaker or my 2018 Silverado with stock head unit. Not sure on model number I can get that if it matters. Also just rewired everything yesterday to make sure I have a good clean connection. I’m honestly thinking I need to get sub replaced under warranty and take it somewhere to get amp tuned properly with an oscope as I’ve just been tuning it by ear.

Something sounds loose when I’m really pounding on it while I still feel like I should be able to put more on this sub with the power output. Sometimes I can really smell the wood from the box after a couple minutes of playing loud.
You have a sealed or ported enclosure and what sub/ subs and model #

I’m running an Alpine Pdr-m65 with a true rms of I think 725 it stated on the card in the box. Keep in mind I used a Scosche $30 line out converter tapped into just the rear right side speaker or my 2018 Silverado with stock head unit. Not sure on model number I can get that if it matters. Also just rewired everything yesterday to make sure I have a good clean connection. I’m honestly thinking I need to get sub replaced under warranty and take it somewhere to get amp tuned properly with an oscope as I’ve just been tuning it by ear.
The Test performance Birth sheet means very little if your Electrical isnt up to the Demand for the supply.Ive always said and Ill keep saying it.. It takes Power to Make power. Ive been Tuning by ear for over 20 yrs. and have been happy with my results

Something sounds loose when I’m really pounding on it while I still feel like I should be able to put more on this sub with the power output. Sometimes I can really smell the wood from the box after a couple minutes of playing loud.
Pull the subs and check the Coils with a DMM see within the limitations. Also.. Push down on the Cone to see if you feel any Scratching/ resistance.If yes, ( subs on its way to failure) Id try send in for warranty. Smell is from the Heat generated with inside the enclosure . Burtn funk smell more than likely is from heated up or burning of Coils from over powering and or /Clipping

Wire each sub in series inside it's box (8ohms). Now the wire that comes out of each box, connect them positives together on the amp's positive, and negatives on the amp's negative. That will give you a 4ohm load. Your amp can go as low as 2ohms, but your subs cannot do that. Unless you use only one sub, or use only one coil per sub like audiobaun said. I have done the one coil trick in the past without issues, but another member on this site recommended against that. I figure it has something to do with that unused coil creating power during motion and thus creating extra heat. What if I put a little light bulb on that coil to expend the energy, or better yet, a vu meter! It is an experiment I will try someday. But yeah, good luck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.