Wiring 12w3 with PPI amp

Breogan24
10+ year member

NYC
Hi, i have a quick question for anyone that can help me on this. I have a 12w3-d6, so it is currently wired in parallel to produce an impedance of 3 ohms, I plan to connect this to my Precision Power PC650 amp. It is rated at 200wrms @ 4ohms.

2 questions

1) At 3 ohms the amp will put out 300wrms, and since i hear that PPI amps are underrated, does that mean that it will put out even more than that? JL does recommends NOTHING about 300wrms or you can damage your sub. I dont want to wreck it.

2) The other thing is that much of a load to put on the amp. I have heard great things about PPI being very stable amps and could even handle a short for a couple of seconds. But the reason i am asking is because i was using this amp about 2 yrs ago to run 2 JL12w3's and the amp stopped working. It blew some output IC's and some power supply IC's. So i dont know if it was because of the subs, but i doubt that.

Thanks for any help guyz.

1) At 3 ohms the amp will put out 300wrms, and since i hear that PPI amps are underrated, does that mean that it will put out even more than that? JL does recommends NOTHING about 300wrms or you can damage your sub. I dont want to wreck it.
Actually it should put out 266 watts. The sub will be fine.

2) The other thing is that much of a load to put on the amp. I have heard great things about PPI being very stable amps and could even handle a short for a couple of seconds. But the reason i am asking is because i was using this amp about 2 yrs ago to run 2 JL12w3's and the amp stopped working. It blew some output IC's and some power supply IC's. So i dont know if it was because of the subs, but i doubt that.
How did you have the 2 subs wired? If they were D6 subs as well then you could either have them @ 1.5 or 6 ohms. At 1.5 ohms it would not surprise me that you torched the amp, you were just trying to flow too much current. With 3 ohms the amp should be fine. Keep the gain set conservatively to limit the current if you are nervous about it.

Actually I was using them as individually wired 3 ohm subs. I was using the 2 rear channels for one sub and the 2 sub channels for the other sub. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. It's getting repaired now and should have it by next week.

Well if you blew it on a 3 ohm bridged load once, I wouldn't try it again. One of the AM series or Art series PPI amps wouldn't have a problem with that load but I think a bit of the overbuild was taken out of the PC series. Curious, why did you buy the D6 version of those subs? It would seem that the D2 would suit your amp better.

When i bought the amp i had no idea what an Ohm was, and i was actually using a Fosgate 800.2 which didnt have a problem. Thats why i'm considering selling my subs to buy one that is D2.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.