Why don't tranny pans have a drain hole?

Vortec yes.
What year did the Vortec come out?
ls 5.3 first year was '99.

they make a plug you can install on your pan to drain it. Was kind of a bitch to install and i was told they will almost always leak but worked out great on mah race car. Now i would have to think about having that on a daily driver...

Then I must not have a vortec then....hell now I'll have to look tomorrow.

Oil pans have a drain plug, yet their surrounded by a bunch of bolts just like the tranny pan is. I have heard of people drilling a hole then thread it and getting a oil pan bolt w/washer to plug er up. Might be easier to spot weld a nut on the inside of the pan and line it up with the hole. Then get the proper threaded bolt as your plug.

You have a 1st gen vortec 95-98 i think you have a 5.7 right? The 99+ have a 5.3 just did the tranny gaslet on one last week

Its an 01 tahoe 5.3l

Yeah 5.7

Hey I see a drain plug on that pan!! No fair lol

So maybe some do some don't. It would cost me around 20 bucks for the gasket and filter.

Have you ever changed the tranny fluid? They say if you haven't don't it'll cause problems. I changed mine about two years ago and haven't had problems. But it takes a bit to go into reverse from the time I bought it. Count the bolts on your tranny cause I think there's two different ones if you go to auto zone.

Then I must not have a vortec then....hell now I'll have to look tomorrow.
Oil pans have a drain plug, yet their surrounded by a bunch of bolts just like the tranny pan is. I have heard of people drilling a hole then thread it and getting a oil pan bolt w/washer to plug er up. Might be easier to spot weld a nut on the inside of the pan and line it up with the hole. Then get the proper threaded bolt as your plug.
Dont be ashamed if you dont know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I have a 98 chevy silverado with a vortec 5.0l

When someone check the cast marking for me i was shittiing bricks thinking i had a mustang engine in a truck, but its a strong motor.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Dont be ashamed if you dont know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

When someone check the cast marking for me i was shittiing bricks thinking i had a mustang engine in a truck, but its a strong motor.

I thought Vortecs started on the new body sytle 99 and up?

just googled came out 96 for bigger motors

The later engines have the word Vortec on top. Mine is the early one and doesn't say.

I "say" I'm not ashamed at all. Btw...don't you have a bunch of money to go spend?

vortec motors started in 91-92
Nope.. Actual "vortec" named blocks were released from 95 or 96 and up..

All motors from 85 or 86-95 or 96 were named "vortex" technology.

Pretty much the same engine, but they once made 4 liter engines.

My 88 S-10 has a 2.5L 4-Tech //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.