why doesn't my subwoofers sound louder?

MROOD

CarAudio.com Newbie
London
Hi

its still sounds the same after my upgrade

I have a JL Audio CP212-V0V3 subwoofer enclosure

its holds 2x 300 watt rms subwoofers so 600 watts RMS

i then upgraded the subs to 2x 12w3v3-4 subwoofer at 500 watts rms per subwoofer so now its 1000 watts RMS

Now that is an extra 400 watts

using the same JL Audio 500 watt amp, its a JL Audio RD900/5

so is the issue my box where i need a bigger one? or the amp where i need more power

So if you have sub woofers that can take double the power double the wattage from your previous subs it should get louder right?

what shall i do now?

thank you

Hi

i then upgraded the subs to 2x 12w3v3-4 subwoofer at 500 watts rms per subwoofer so now its 1000 watts RMS

so is the issue my box where i need a bigger one? or the amp where i need more power

So if you have sub woofers that can take double the power double the wattage from your previous subs it should get louder right?

what shall i do now?

thank you
wattage on the sub doesnt mean its louder, it just means it needs THAT much more power to get loud. You basically did nothing to your system that would warrant any real world increases to output. The box design and the amp is way more important.

wattage on the sub doesnt mean its louder, it just means it needs THAT much more power to get loud. You literally did nothing to your system. The box design and the amp is way more important.

thank you for your response

the box i have is an official JL Audio enclosure, its designed for 2 12 inch subwoofer, its a bass wedge ported box

so you would say i need an amp with more power?

since the amp i have manages 4 component speakers as well as the subwoofer channel

the amp manages 325 watts rms at 2 ohm on a 12 volt battery

the subs are wired at 2 ohms

thank you for your response

the box i have is an official JL Audio enclosure, its designed for 2 12 inch subwoofer, its a bass wedge ported box

so you would say i need an amp with more power?

since the amp i have manages 4 component speakers as well as the subwoofer channel

the amp manages 325 watts rms at 2 ohm on a 12 volt battery

the subs are wired at 2 ohms
Those JL boxes arent optimal at all. They are usually way too small for real performance. They try to get away with the smallest box possible to sell to the largest audience (people with small trunk space) So its farthest from optimal. Its even worse if that box was designed for your old woofers and you just threw the new woofers into them.

You wont see any actual gain until you change the amp and have a box properly designed for output. Also JL is not meant for loud, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Those JL boxes arent optimal at all. They are usually way too small for real performance. They try to get away with the smallest box possible to sell to the largest audience (people with small trunk space) So its farthest from optimal. Its even worse if that box was designed for your old woofers and you just threw the new woofers into them.

You wont see any actual gain until you change the amp and have a box properly designed for output. Also JL is not meant for loud, you are barking up the wrong tree.
damn that guy has a way bigger box just with one 12"

what if i disconnect one sub, do you think that will make a difference?

they guys box in the video show 2 speaker but one speaker hole blocked up, so maybe one 12" speaker has more space in the box

damn that guy has a way bigger box just with one 12"

what if i disconnect one sub, do you think that will make a difference?

they guys box in the video show 2 speaker but one speaker hole blocked up, so maybe one 12" speaker has more space in the box
space makes bass dude, box makes all the difference. factory and prebuilt boxes are pretty trash tier performance wise. If you just wire one 12, you'll be losing out on cone area and the ohm load will still make it less power, so it theoretically is going to be less loud but you can experiment who knows miracle might happen.

Hi

what shall i do now?

thank you
Those two models use the same box specifications, 1.75cf ported per sub. Only difference is power handling, so if power stays the same, so will performance. Nice set up btw.

space makes bass dude, box makes all the difference. factory and prebuilt boxes are pretty trash tier performance wise. If you just wire one 12, you'll be losing out on cone area and the ohm load will still make it less power, so it theoretically is going to be less loud but you can experiment who knows miracle might happen.
Bro...maybe you can answer this one. I have one 8" 400 RMS sub wired at 4 ohms with a 1200 watt amp at 1 ohm but 500 rms at 4 ohms.
Couple things, first I used the armor coated enclosure from Skar thats tuned at 40hz and has the kerf port. But I removed the filling that was in it cos online said filling is a NO. Should I put it back in?
Also, even with the Audio Concepts active LOC the volume is LOW bro. It should be way louder. Im sure I shouldn't have to turn everything up so high. Thanks in advance

Couple things, first I used the armor coated enclosure from Skar thats tuned at 40hz and has the kerf port.
As stated above, the sub must be boxed in a specific enclosure. Deviation from specs will reward you with discouraging subwoofer performance. I also would not expect too much from a single low power 8' sub.
I have used prefabricated enclosures with great success. I just choose one that meets my sub's manufacturer's criteria. Easy peasy.
As for the filling, I have not heard a difference in ported enclosures. SAS Bass Tubes successfully use it, so it must have it's benefit.

As stated above, the sub must be boxed in a specific enclosure. Deviation from specs will reward you with discouraging subwoofer performance. I also would not expect too much from a single low power 8' sub.
I have used prefabricated enclosures with great success. I just choose one that meets my sub's manufacturer's criteria. Easy peasy.
As for the filling, I have not heard a difference in ported enclosures. SAS Bass Tubes successfully use it, so it must have it's benefit.
Hi bro. Thanks for your help. I should have mentioned that, sorry to waste your time.
I read dozens of reviews before buying, they mostly all said it kicked ass. The Skar enclosure.

https://www.skaraudio.com/products/ar1x8v-single-8-inch-armor-coated-ported-subwoofer-enclosure

Hi bro. Thanks for your help. I should have mentioned that, sorry to waste your time.
I read dozens of reviews before buying, they mostly all said it kicked ***. The Skar enclosure.

https://www.skaraudio.com/products/ar1x8v-single-8-inch-armor-coated-ported-subwoofer-enclosure

And oh, its a higher end sub from Skar Audio. And its not low power. Its 400 watt RMS. After reading a lot that may be a problem. I only needed to get a 100-150 rms sub.And its running 4 ohms with 500 RMS from amp.
Maybe its the 4 ohm doing it.
And I have to turn the LOC Bass output all the way up, the Accubass up to halfway.
The amp gain to 75% to get decent volume. And it sounds muddy as hell.

Last edited:
And oh, its a higher end sub from Skar Audio. And its not low power. Its 400 watt RMS. After reading a lot that may be a problem. I only needed to get a 100-150 rms sub.And its running 4 ohms with 500 RMS from amp.
Maybe its the 4 ohm doing it
So the skar svr? You have a 80 dollar 8 inch sub. I wouldn't expect it to do anything exciting unless you get about 3 more/ or switch to a larger cone sized sub.
Do you know anyone else with systems you can compare to? "Loud" is subjective.
Also, do you have a d2 sub wired up to 4 ohms?
What amp do you have at 4 ohms.

Ps. You should've started your own thread instead of jacking an old one

Maybe its the 4 ohm doing it
The fact that's its 400 watts instead of 150 is the problem? What

The 4 ohm is doing it?

WHAT

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...