Why did both of my brand new subs blow 1 hout after install?

Kb1688

CarAudio.com Newbie
Kentucky
Hi everyone. So I'm not much of an installation guy. I just buy and have a shop install them. That's exactly what I did this time. I purchased 2 ct sounds ozone 10 10" subs powered by a ct sounds ct-2000.1D 2000 Watts monoblock amp. I went to an audio shop and had them wire the entire system. Installed the amp, box, and subs and wired everything. They sounded great at the shop. After driving home for about 30 minutes one started to rattle when hitting hard then immediately shut off. My buddy checked it and the voice coil is demolished. The 2nd one sounds terrible now too with sodering coming off everywhere. I've included some pictures of the subs, setup, and problems. I hope someone can tell me what went wrong and if either they are just terrible subs or they wired it bad or the amp is too powerful etc. Etc.

It sounds like whoever tuned the system didn't know what they were doing. It sounds like you sent them to clip city. The gain on the amp was probably too high. Take a pic of the amp settings and post it please.

You have an amp that's a tad too powerful for those subs. Let me guess you cranked up loudness, bass boost, the EQ, etc too.... Keep in mind turning on loudness doubles - triples power to the subs. 3 notches on your bass or EQ control doubles power, etc. Poor subs.

These are the images. I assume from responses it was tuned incorrectly but here a pictures to tell better. I can tell you the bass nob I can adjust under my steering wheel was turned all the way up by the audio shop as well as custom equalizer set by them.

Attachments

• 20220703_122515.jpg
    20220703_122515.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220703_121541.jpg
    20220703_121541.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220703_094950.jpg
    20220703_094950.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Looks like a manufacturer defect on one sub. The leads came apart, which explains the rattling and output. The other sub is probably fine. Get the defective one replaced and see how it sounds. I assume it's under warranty.

If you bought your gear from the install shop, they would set your amp settings conservatively to avoid warranty claims.

These are the images. I assume from responses it was tuned incorrectly but here a pictures to tell better. I can tell you the bass nob I can adjust under my steering wheel was turned all the way up by the audio shop as well as custom equalizer set by them.
View attachment 39805View attachment 39806View attachment 39807View attachment 39808View attachment 39809View attachment 39810View attachment 39811

Check your headunit settings. Is the loudness turned off? The subwoofer setting on your headunit should be turned all the way up. Bass boost all the way off on the amp. I set the gain on the amp with the bass knob at 50%. When you tune your system and set the gains on your amp the headunit should be at about 80% of the max volume.

I bought everything from the ct sounds website. Everything is brand new. I think the gain is almost all the way up I'm not sure. The one with the broken lead still works. The other one will not come on at all and you can see copper wire through the hole in the magnet. I'm assuming it blew a voice coil. Let me see if it'll upload a video to show you what it was doing prior to shutting off. It's the right sub in the video.

I bought everything from the ct sounds website. Everything is brand new. I think the gain is almost all the way up I'm not sure. The one with the broken lead still works. The other one will not come on at all and you can see copper wire through the hole in the magnet. I'm assuming it blew a voice coil. Let me see if it'll upload a video to show you what it was doing prior to shutting off. It's the right sub in the video.
View attachment 39813

Damn, you roasted those subs. There's something you aren't telling us.

He put 2000W into two 800W rated woofers. Not sure why this is so mystifying for everyone here.
If you are burning up voice coils it's because you're putting heat into them faster than they can dissipate it, or in other words, giving them too much power.

He put 2000W into two 800W rated woofers. Not sure why this is so mystifying for everyone here.
If you are burning up voice coils it's because you're putting heat into them faster than they can dissipate it, or in other words, giving them too much power.
Warranty department just told me they wired them at .5 ohms which caused clipping and blew the subs that the amp settings nor the subs were the problem

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...