Whoops, a newbie blew his sub!

My guess... In the sealed enclosure, cone movement was less due to being in a sealed enclosure. The gain was set on the amp while the music was playing, Punch EQ was up... which boost up to 12db @ 45hz, Bass is up on the head unit, playing bass heavy music at high volumes... the sealed box saved the sub by limiting cone movement. The sub was moved to a ported enclosure tuned to "40hz". Here is what I think happened. Nothing was changed on the amp or head unit and the sub was put in the ported box. Music was turned on and turned up. Notes in the 35 to 50hz range were playing and the Punch EQ @ 45hz combined with the 40hz tune of the port was spiking frequencies in the 40's 10-14db higher than the rest of the music slamming the VC former over and over and over until it started having Kapton babies in the gap.
@Hispls probably nailed it in the 5th reply to this thread.

Sounds like mechanical damage due to wanging away way undèr enclosure tuning.

Might as well set it on the table, wire it up, plug it in a wall socket and have a laugh.

JK OP... please dont try that ^^^^

As far as an alt goes... for that amp as long as the battery has been upgraded and alt is at least working decent... id say just monitor voltage and see if a upgrade becomes necessary.

OP... I run a 750 watt 15 on 2Kish on stock fairly weak electrical (Honda), upgraded wire and a gr31 agm with only minimal voltage drop, the 750 watt sub is doing fine as the enclosure is a low 30's tune and designed for my particular sub at that power level.

Im smelling coils after a few minutes at high levels but no mechanical issues.... I just let it cool at relatively lower levels for a few... and repeat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 2010 Renault Clio 1.2 16v. What sizes are you looking for exactly? I'll try fetch them in the morning if you really feel it will help.

The sub is 750W RMS https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_92822_Orion-XTR152D.html alongside the amp which is also 720W RMS @ 1ohm https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r750-1d/

Could you recommend a specific AGM battery, or could you let me know if the battery I linked (Stinger SPV44) would be a good match? With its wattage of 1320 it should meet the 750 RMS of my amp and have lots leftover for headlights etc, presuming the alternator isn't the issue.

Many thanks! :)
Wow 1.2 liters is tiny. I bet that little frenchy car has a 70-80 amp alternator which is most likely the problem.

The sub is 750W RMS https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_92822_Orion-XTR152D.html alongside the amp which is also 720W RMS @ 1ohm https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r750-1d/
d08d5d7d-fc14-47de-955d-2df6f0fb83d5_1.b885a1212fa9d6fbaed28a4e2214f0eb.jpeg

This is NOT a 750W sub period.  When I originally commented I assumed this was a decent sub since Orion has been doing some good things lately, but I can assure you, if this type of woofer was sold by an honest brand it would be 500W rated tops (see Alpine Type S or JL W0).   I couldn't find what size coil they use but it definitely isn't 2.5" (what you would need to truly hang with 750W) and you certainly don't have much x-mech to work with so you will very probably run into both thermal and mechanical limits on something like this with a true 750W

Double checking your amp is "Prime" series RF so probably not 15-20% under-rated like Power series but still certainly honestly rated.   I don't know a think about Stinger brand batteries so I can't comment on that one and really whether your battery bank will be good largely depends on your listening habits.  ANY extra battery reserve will help but the only way to figure out what will get you comfortable is to throw something in and find out.  That said, I haven't seen Stinger name on junk yet so it should be as good as anything else.

This is NOT a 750W sub period.  When I originally commented I assumed this was a decent sub since Orion has been doing some good things lately, but I can assure you, if this type of woofer was sold by an honest brand it would be 500W rated tops (see Alpine Type S or JL W0).   I couldn't find what size coil they use but it definitely isn't 2.5" (what you would need to truly hang with 750W) and you certainly don't have much x-mech to work with so you will very probably run into both thermal and mechanical limits on something like this with a true 750W

Double checking your amp is "Prime" series RF so probably not 15-20% under-rated like Power series but still certainly honestly rated.   I don't know a think about Stinger brand batteries so I can't comment on that one and really whether your battery bank will be good largely depends on your listening habits.  ANY extra battery reserve will help but the only way to figure out what will get you comfortable is to throw something in and find out.  That said, I haven't seen Stinger name on junk yet so it should be as good as anything else.
You are correct about that sub not being rated for 750rms. I have an older XTR 154 from around 2006 and it's only rated 300rms with a 2.5in coil.

3k peak does not mean it'll handle it continuously, daily....RMS is what you wanna look for: Root Mean Squared. Peak power/max power/burst power all these meanings are the same, meaning that it'll handle a second or 2 of "burst" power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.