Which direction to face subwoofers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

JVinsnes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Norway
I am in the making of my third ported enclosure and was wondering, would they loose output if I face them directly up against the rear seats of my wagon instead of them facing towards the trunk? The subs I've got would look alot better inside than on the outside(unless I invert them), so I was thinking about installing them like this and have an acryllic winow showing off them big magnets when I open the trunk. Would that work out? Or do I have to accept their ugly cones?

i used to face my sub toward the rear bumper, now i run it facing the front bumper. sounds about the same to me. but now i can put things in my trunk and not worry about something damaging my sub

fwiw, i made 4 L brackets out of thick aluminum to keep the box from moving around

Well, you can face them any way you want but your going to get the best out of them if they are pointed rear.
Its up to you if aesthetics is more important than performance

If you do face it forward I wouldn't port it forward too.
I did this in a car one time cuz I wanted to use some of my trunk and didn't wan the sub getting torn up
It lost a lot of performance.
You could always get Buck to design you a bandpass box if you think the subs can handle it

would they loose output if I face them directly up against the rear seats of my wagon instead of them facing towards the trunk?
If you tell us the precise year make and model of your vehicle you might get feedback from someone who has tested with the same car. Otherwise anybody telling you anything is just guessing. Too many variables to say, this is something you must test to see what performs best.

i used to face my sub toward the rear bumper, now i run it facing the front bumper. sounds about the same to me. but now i can put things in my trunk and not worry about something damaging my sub

fwiw, i made 4 L brackets out of thick aluminum to keep the box from moving around
I also used thick aluminum to create a brace for my box. Great idea.

Little late, but I wanted to give you an update. The RSW12110 were rated at 800W (geussing it is a peak rating) so I thought I could give it 400Wrms considering the magnet size compared to the tiny magnet on my old Renegade RXV1200 that was 300Wrms. The Renegade was gained to 200Wrms and figured I could keep this setting because the new one was DVC4ohm while the Renegade was SVC4ohm, but I had only used 2 out of 4 channels. So I hooked it up to use all 4, but I started to smell the glue when I sniffed next to it (had it inverted). I stopped the song and lightly touched the voice coil, which was stupid because now I dont have my fingerprint anymore XD. With this, I think 300Wrms would be more realistic, but at 400Wrms it sounded just a tiny bit louder than the Renegade, so at 300Wrms it would be pointless to "upgrade" from the Renegade. Looking to get a real sub that can properly handle the 600Wrms my amp can give(at 2x4ohm). Some websites say it can do 2x2ohm at 500Wrms, but a few guys on Youtube testet it on the dyno where it gave 1100Wrms at 2x2ohm. Wondering if it is safe to run it like that? The amp in question is the Pioneer GM-D8604

id get a better sub and the right amp to go along with it

brands i like for the $..

for subs..

Fi
Image Dynamics

amps..

Fosgate
Pioneer

Think I'll have the keep the amp. Got it from a friend and when I don't need it anymore im gonns give it back. So instead of forking out $150 for a diffrent amp, I'd rather put the money towards the sub. Something around $150-$250, if it is possible. Dvc 4ohm 600Wrms would be optimal, unless I can safely run 2ohm bridge with the amp and get a 1000Wrms dvc 2ohm sub

Came across an Edge EDP122SPL-E6 on sale for just $250. its Dvc2ohm 1500W, decent match if I can run 2ohm bridge. I also saw a GWIZ 12SPL for $200. Thats 1000Wrms 2x2ohm. Even a Pioneer W3002D4 for just $70. Which should I get?
- Pioneer TS-W3002D4 $70
- GZIW 12SPL $200
- Edge EDP122SPL-E6 $250

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.